Do you like what you are doing? Really?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Sep 17, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I'm sure this has been beaten down in the past.

So, how many of you really like what you do? You know, no more Mondays? Are you one of the guys or gals that can't wait to get into your machine or office on Monday or do you dread the M day?

Me, I think I am a little burned out.:blob2: Maybe it's my choice of jobs or the fact that I'm feeling the last few jobs deep in my bones, but I have looked forward to computer games and couch time more than hard work lately. Maybe I just need a vacation. Been a few years!

I just don't know if I like what I do. Some days I have fun. Other's days, I hate the monotony and I don't like the trees and rocks.
    Maybe it's the rough terrain more than the trees, or it might be the stress I had earlier this year when I switched machines but something just doesn't feel right and I am asking myself if I like what I do and more importantly, if I enjoy what I do.

BTW, I clear land and chip and grind brush utilizing skids steers, chipper, and other tools.. I recently realized that I created myself a steady job that has turned into a 9-5. Maybe I am not working on my business because I am working in it too much? That's another subject. How to let go of the immediate control and oversee the project vs. doing the project myself. I think that would be a thread by itself.

So, simple question. Do you like what you are doing? Really?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes I really hate my job(s), always getting a phone call in the evening telling me that there is a change of plans, or usually after an hour of getting my trailer and machines ready and tied down, then I find out that they need a different attachment or I need to rent one at the last minute, then I get pissed and bitchy.

But then there is the job(s) that I love it, a good cushy type, show up at 8 am, coffee and donuts waiting courtesy of the client(s) and nice clean Jiffy-John (sh*tter) for when nature calls and a good, tight security system to prevent theft, I love those jobs and I look forward to more of them.

The kind of jobs where I take a before picture and an after shot, and you can really see the difference that job has made to the quality of the land, the demolition jobs, where we all get free reign of whatever we can carry out by hand out of the houses (I got beer from the last demo job) and the excitement of bashing and smashing, and watching the silo's hit the ground and see how far the roof can "pop". If the hours aren't bad, I relish them, if the hours are early and ending late, screw them.

I do get tired of the monotony, especially the endless ditch cleaning, but give me 2 cute 20-something flagger girls and the days get better, give me 2 old sausage festival retiree's and I won't get out of bed.
    The monotony can be good for me, I know exactly what's happening the next day and the day after that, and come Friday, I can tell everyone to go to hell, 'cuz I ain't working Saturdays.

Sometimes I do wish I worked in a gravel pit, I just get so tired of driving back and forth to different places and trying to remember all the new faces and names of customers, and having to worry about when they will pay, but if they will pay.

But then I come home, eat dinner with the folks, and hit the couch and go to bed, everyday is a new day, and everyday brings new challenges that I must overcome, so life goes on.............and so will my medication. :laugh:

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I get burned out this time of year as well. Usually when everything is going good I am good, and when there not it does not take much to get me in a bad mood and starts me thinking.

4. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Absolutly, I get up every morning 95% of the time eager to go play in the dirt. 5% of the time I Don't as I may have a real pain in the ass task to do that day but it always for out for the good I guess. I usually run the equipment all day, either the excavators or the dozer. Kick back cut on the A/C, radio and move some dirt. Just bought a Sirius Satellite radio that I can use in all the equipment to make some of the long days go by faster. Most of the time I don't even get any dirt on myself:laugh: I pick my own hours, leave for lunch when I'm hungry and go home when I need too. As long as the work gets done that is.

When I'm not working I'm on the computer looking at equipment and on equipment forums. I run off the road looking at equipment and talk about it all the time( girls don't like that :confused:) I really eqjoy doing it and I'm not very good at anything else so I make it work for the best.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I'm been having my quips with this the last week or so since I was told I might be getting the big layoff. Right now I'm not really sure what's going to happen, sounds like I might be staying, but who really knows. Lesson? Nothing is ever certain, why worry about it.

I like running equipment, even right now while I've been grade hopping quite a bit I don't mind going to work. I surely wouldn't enjoy being a grade hop long term, but going into winter, a job is a job and I'm not one to complain. That and I'm the new guy on the crew, I can't and won't complain about anything. The only time I ever get pissed off at work is if something gets in the way of me getting perfection out of what I'm doing. I'm supposed to have a laser guiding me with what I'm doing, sometimes the laser doesn't get setup by the time we fire up in the morning so I have to start the day with a more manual way of checking grade. Fine and good for a while in the morning, but if I'm having to do it most of the day, it gets irritating beyond belief. Especially since I'm a perfectionist and I can't get things the way I want at the speed I want them without my laster. So at the end of the day, everything gets done right, but it frustrated me to get it there. Oh well.

I'm really looking forward to next spring. I was really pumped up for this summer but it's been a bust to say the least. Right now I'm just working to get through the winter, more or less. I really wouldn't mind if I got shipped off to another company but I'd like to stay where I'm at. I scored an equipment list today off one of the fuelers, you guys wouldn't believe the amount of stuff we have. (25) PC400's, (3) PC308's, (12) PC200's, (8) PC138's, (7) PC120's, (1) PC600, (1) PC750, (7) Komastu WA 380 loaders, (3) WA 350's, (3) WA 220's, (12) Case 580's, (3) Hitachi 450's, (9) Cat D5G's, (4) Komatsu D37's, (7) Cat D6R LGP's with GPS, (2) D7Rs, (3) D8N's, 1 T, and an L, (5) Volvo A35C haul trucks, not to mention another list of about 20 pieces of compaction equipment. It's disgusting how much iron we have. Needless to say I'd love to stay on with this company.

I would like to eventually work my way back into self employment part time. Buy a mini and a truck and do the O/O deal on the weekends for a while. We'll see what happens.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That is a lot of iron man.:weightlifter:

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I think YellowDog's ass is getting sore from his Bobcat seat, his ass misses the nice air ride seat from his Cat 272C.

8. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I work for myself so I'm usually working 6 days of the week and everyone likes to assume that since you move dirt for a living you must want to do that every day so I usually end up doing something like installing drainage at the in-laws house. I guess if it keeps their house from gettin flooded and it keeps em out of my house then it's worth it, but still.

I like what I do, but I don't like the garbage that comes with it. If all I had to do every day was hop in a machine and go all day that would be perfect. It's stupid things like dealing with clients that don't want to pay you or getting a DOT stop or some know-it-all cop trying to make up laws as he pulls you over.

Or a formerly loyal client that hires some dumb@$$ who claims to be an operator that can't keep a dozer going for an hour straight without stopping to either answer nature's call, talk on his cellphone, have a smoke, BS with someone, etc. etc. to do work that you should be doing. PLUS the guy doesn't even own any equipment and he's billing himself out for 45/hr and he's not paying fuel or anything.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You're telling me, it's a mind boggling amount. Once spring rolls around, hopefully I'll have one to call my own. For a while, it was the roller, then I got shifted to dozer for a while, then I started grade checking, but run the 8 a little, the 400's a little, a 200 here and there, I could be doing practically anything on any given day, lately it's been grade checking until we get the walls finished. Only have 1 more lift to go and it takes me about 3 days to make complete a lift. After that, we should still have a fair amount of material to get hauled out, should be done with the walls early next week. Then I'll be back on equipment. I bounce around a lot while everyone else is doing the same thing they did the day before, I feel like the odd man out.

10. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I have those days when I wonder if its worth it. Wether I want to fire all my help and go back to how it used to be, Just me and a skid loader/excavator.

But I like money and its my sole motivation in life.

I need a vacation.

J.