Do you like your job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmeister, Mar 7, 2005.

?

Overall, do you like your job/career maintaining lawns?

1. Yes

84 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

I'm considering getting into the biz and was wondering how people like their job of mowing lawns. I'm coming from a background of managing software developers, so this would be a big change. I'm looking to make a break from office life and was wondering if people mostly enjoy this industry.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It doesn't matter what we like, what matters is if YOU like it.
    It is quite a bit more in the way of hard physical work from managing
    software developers.

3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I enjoy being in the lawn maint. biz. Working for yourself is a great experience. It can be challenging at times but for the most part I enjoy it. There is a lot of physical work but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I get a good sense of accomplishment from a job well done. Plus as you grow and hire employees its great to sit back and watch what you created earn money for you.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I absolutely love maintaing lawns. My most favorite things to do is of course mowing and fertilization. I hate spring/fall clean ups, landscaping maintenance, and installation. Oh and did I forget snow removal.

But other than that I can not see myself doing anything else. It took a while for my family (wife and relatives) to accept what I do, but once they saw how good of a living I made they were sold on the idea

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will enjoy the freedom, it sometimes stresses me about the weather(rain) and no work////It does get pretty physical, but I know it will keep me in shape and I don't, I repeat don't miss all the drama from my last job, that place was unhealthy for me......poor fools that are still there!

Strap in and enjoy the ride! :)

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Working for yourself is much better than working for someone else.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Yes I enjoy lawn maintenance. You have to enjoy working outdoors and doing yard work if you're going to try this business. The work is hard physically. At the end of the day you're tired, sweatty and covered in dirt, but there are rewards. You set your own schedule, and work as many or as few hours as you choose. Owning and operating your own lawn care business is great.

8. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

Best thing I ever did. I like the big bonus checks!!!

9. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

Its the best thing Ive ever done for myself.

Being your own boss is great.

Do you have any agricultural experience of just looking for a change?

It definitely helps to know what your doing.

10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Who said no? Why are you here jw?