do you listen to a customers voice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sandgropher, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Just had a phone call, a guy has a holiday home in a town close by, he wants me to mow it but lives a long way away, as i am "no cash no mow", i declined as i have not been payed from these types of people before.

He says his last bloke mowed it for 20 years (gave a name that i do not know)

The thing is i smelt a rat as soon as i spoke to him, i didnt like the sound of his voice, he wasnt rude or any thing just a feeling i had.

Has anybody else declined a job because you didnt like the sound of voice on the phone ? am i being to hasty in making a judgement?

The last thing he said was "well if you dont want the money 3 cuts in advance i will get some body else" then he hung up.

Now i am kicking myself, i would not mind that, but i still have a funny feeling about him, any body else have this feeling ???

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If he's Aulstralian I wouldn't trust him. He's likely saving up his money to buy a toll road in the US. I hear it's the new Australian pension fund.

3. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

SO TRUE. The Indiana Toll Road was just sold recently.

4. Sandgropher

Yes i think he was Australian.:laugh:

He was very pleasant on the phone, but it felt funny.:confused:

Am now wondering if i missed a great opportunity as holiday homes sound good, (nobody around) etc:confused:

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Yep Sandgropher, had that feeling many times. Its called your "gut instinct" trying to tell you something. Listen to it wisely. Every time I did not follow it I got burned. I have actually met real nice folks that I get that bad feeling from and its right 100% of the time. Call it your sixth sense warning you.

6. Sandgropher

Yes i think its gut instinct, its easy to tell if you are going to get the job when talking face to face, but harder on the phone, its funny but he said all the right words and was very nice on the phone, but i got a red flag, he said he had one bloke that mowed it for 20 years but the last bloke stopped coming for an unknown reason, maybe that made me wonder ?

Its rather funny really but i got that "gut instinct" as you say for no good reason, but i probaly did the right thing.

Wonder what Top Site thinks he always has interesting storys on customer relations and red flags.

I do hope i havn't passed a good job by.

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

A good deal of the time I never get as far as the voice. I can tell by the message they left on the phone. I also blow off whole towns just because of my experiences there. No, I'm not being irrational. Every once in a while I have to re-learn that last lesson. Sandgropher, even if you took the job for 3 weeks, I'll bet any amount that he wouldn't want the grass cut for two months afterwards and you would have to waste your time going over there to quote it again, then the guy would complain why you can't do it for the same price as before.:drinkup:

8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

wise guy hey:laugh: :waving:

but its true ,as i have said to you before sandy ,i get close to 40 calls a day and the first 10secs on the phone tells me alot.but let me say i think i have gotten better at this simply because of all the mistakes and stuff ups prior .as topsites says "the red flag goes up "what ever you like to call it,it becomes like a sixth sense .:waving:

:canadaflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag: *aussieflag* :jester: iowa flg sfl

9. Sandgropher

I am moving to Brissie, i spend about $45 a week on advertising and get about 6-8 calls a week, 40 calls a day would throw up a lot of red flags around the place :laugh: do not know how you have time to work talking on the phone so much :laugh:

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

mate , dont worry ,the little woman takes some plus the young girl that works for me takes a few as well ....i've got them trained:cool2: