Do You Make Em Pay Up Front???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bad_chad48, Mar 13, 2002.

1. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

HELLO ONCE AGAIN...

I AM ABOUT TO DO A JOB THAT IS 2.75 ACRES INWHICH I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DIG UP WHAT GRASS IS THERE AND PUT 12 TONS OF LIME, ALMOST 1200LBS OF FURTILIZER AND APROX 350LBS OF SEED. USING A TRACTOR FOR 5 TO 8 HRS IN WHICH I WILL BE RENTING FOR A GRAND TOTAL FOR ALL OF AROUND $1500.
    THIS IS A NEW CUSTOMER (A PREACHER) AND I DO NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY TO BE THROWING AROUND... SHOULD I HAVE HIM PAY UP FRONT? AND HOW SHOULD I ASK FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY BECAUSE I AM NEW TO HIM TOO?
    THANKS

2. WHY?

Explain why you are doing this?

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Half before you start (cash before you start) Half on completion. Preachers can cheat people too.

Mark

4. bad_chad48

THIS HOUSE IS LOCATED IN A NEW SUBDIVISION BUILT IN A LARGE FIELD... ABOUT HALF OF THE YARD IS STILL FIELD AND THE OTHER HALF IS DIRT FROM WHERE THEY LEFT IT FROM THE CONSTRUCTION... THIS GUY STOPPED ME WHILE I WAS PASSING OUT FLYERS AND HIRED ME ON THE SPOT TO MAKE HIS PLACE LOOK GOOD. FIRST THING I DID WAS TAKE A SOIL SAMPLE AND THEN WAITED FOR THE RESULTS. NOW THAT I HAVE THE RESULTS..I KNEW WHERE I WAS STANDING. NOW, I HAVE TO BEAT THE CLOCK AS FAR AS GETTING THIS GUY A YARD THAT WE BOTH CAN BE PROUD OF.. I HAVE TO BREAK UP THE SOIL AROUND THE HOUSE SO THAT I HAVE A NEW START AS FAR AS SEEDING AND THEN RE-SEED THE FIELD SO THAT IT IS A YARD AND NOT A FIELD.

5. This calls for 24,000 pounds of lime?

That's 200 pounds of lime per 1000 sq ft.

This calls for 1,200 of fert?

I don't know where you got $1500 for the whole job, but I got $1,190 just for seed at the proper rate.

$476 for starter fert at the proper rate.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Dude, you need to tell the preacher to find someone else because you have no idea what you are doing. You are putting down 3 times as much fertilizer than you should, 4 times a much lime, and not enought seed. What was the pH from your soil test?

7. bad_chad48

according to the results from the soil test...
    I NEED 200 LBS/1000SQ FT LIME
    N 1.0 TO 1.5 LBS/1000SQ FT
    P 3 TO 5 LBS/1000SQ FT
    K 3 TO 5 LBS/1000SQ FT

I WILL BE PUTTING ON
    300 LBS 46 00 00
    600 LBS 18 46 00
    300 LBS 00 00 60
    FOR A TOTAL
    1200 LBS

THEN 350 LBS OF TALL FESCUE MIX
    4 TONS PER ACRE = 12 TONS LIME

I HAVE CHECKED ON PRICES FOR ALL AND THE PRICE THAT I HAVE LISTED IS CORRECT..

pH total was 5.1
    buffer pH: 6.2

8. You need 476 pounds of 18-24-12, applied in 2 applications.

Then put it on a fert program.

Seed at 8 pounds per 1000 = 952 pounds that's for slit seeding.

I posted my starter fert wrong in the last post. 476 pounds not dollars.

10=50# bags = $100.

4 pounds of N per a year not one application. You have 5.65 pounds going down in one app.

9. bad_chad48

reset

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Lime should never be applied over 50 pounds per 1000 in one application, 200 pounds will dry like concreate. The ph is low but should not need 200 pounds per k. you have appx 108,000 sf land, again your seed rate is way low, you will hardly have any grass, just as LGF said you will need 850-900 pounds of seed, 476 pounds of started fert, and 50 pounds lime per k of land.

Again, this is a serious job at a serious expense to the customer, if you have not done something like this before walk away and let someone else do it. Start small and work your way up.