Do you make guarantees on seed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hef37087, Jun 3, 2008.

1. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Does anyone guarantee seed germination? I seeded a few bare spots for a lady that has already told me she wouldn't have much time to water. When I finished she asked if it didn't come up or anything should she call me back or what? I told her that there wasn't much way to guarantee seed germination. She seemed upset, but if it don't rain and you don't water...what can I do?

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

never guarantee seed...if they want a guarantee triple the price and tell them they need to prove they watered daily for 3 weeks...it is just not done

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Without irrigation - and access to control it, no guarantees.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

NEVER!

Do you want the weather and the persons ability to take care of a new seeding to control the destiny of your business?

NOT ME!

I tell the customer that the only guarantee I will give them as I will put the seed in the correct place!

5. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Thats what I thought. I know a former co-worker years ago said they had a state contract for a prison and it required to guarantee 80% germination. I didn't think that would go for anything else.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't jump the gun here folks. I renovated my front lawn this spring, and I garanteed myself that it would germinate. It did. I guess I won't have to reseed this job again because of the garantee. If I had not watered it 3 times a day, my garantee would have been null and void. Good thing I listened to myself. I might have had to take me to small claims court.

7. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I gurantee the seed is placed where it needs to be and physicaly show them, after I instruct them on proper care and leave, I'm done. On my follow up, I may make some adjustments or additions, but thats my call.

8. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We guarantee stand establishment provided watering is done as directed. We also incorporate 1st year fertilization and weed control into the bid price.

Also our seed supplier backs us up on this guarantee.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Who is your seed supplier?

How do you know if the customer is watering correctly? Do you drive over there every day or two?

Do you do a lot of seeding?

10. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, we do a lot of seeding of all types of situations.

You don't have to check a lawn very often to tell if it is being watered.

Our seed supplier is local but ships all over the Midwest. Their guarantee is to selected contractors based on loyalty etc.