Do You Make More $$$ Than Your Customers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leroy's Lawns, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leroy's Lawns

Leroy's Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NY

One thing I found that you have to be careful of in this business is looking like you are too successful. If driving around in a fancy new truck alot of customers will think you're too expensive for mowing their lawn.

I bought a Dodge Power Wagon last year and got my guys nice company shirts, pants and hats. I noticed that I got approached alot less when cutting lawns by potential customers. When I went back to hauling my trailer with my '98 F250 and lost the uniforms I picked up alot more mowing contracts.

Now I keep the Power Wagon just for play. It doesn't pay to give customers an idea about how much money you make mowing lawns.:cool:

2. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have thought of that before, and think it's right on to an extent..Thats why I'm getting an 88 ford f250. painted olive green..and i'll keep all the equipment dirty..so people thnk I,m the cheap guy. and also with use my chevy 3500 for landscape installs.

3. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of truth to this. I use very professional looking postcards for advertising and don't get calls because my prices "look" to be too high from the qulity of work shown on my postcards / advertising.

But, the people that do call which is still a lot are very easy sells.

I'll still stay with the high quality appearance because neighbors talk and the word get around that you prices are similar but the quality and appearance is first rate.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea I run mainly old Chevys for work, they make me look like the cheap guy. My mowers are usually dirty and, I only hve one new mower an 04' Lazer, the rest are atleast 10years old. I do however where company t-shirtd, and polos for client meetings. I try to look like a respectable guy who runs and honest business, but isn't rich. Little do they know I making plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$$payup

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I agree with this thread 100%. You can not get new or more customers if you look like BOSS himself or CEO who instead will dictate customers themselves.
    As of date, guys with 30k plus trucks and peppy uniforms don't usually get extra bonus, all their goods intimidate midrange homeowners and potentials.
    Guys with okay trucks and quality works will last and get better bonuses. It works on me. The more humble you look the more money will come, provided you do quality work and on schedule.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree completely. :nono:

Over the years, I been told face to face that the reason my company has been hired vs others is because we don't show up looking like a bunch of rag pickers with worn out equipment leaving oil stains in the driveway from some old fender flabbin' rusted out pickup truck.:nono:

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I see where you folks are coming from, but I have to agree with Rodfather. Although, this was my first year in the biz I noticed the same thing. Not all of my equipment is new, but the majority is. We show with newer equipment, company shirts, and we show up when we say we will. I have had more positive comments about my equipment, and our dependability then I have had positive or negative about my older trucks(86-94). I would rather give off the image of a professional company than a fly by night any day of the week. They may hire you because you look cheap, but you have started a ball rolling down the wrong track.JMO

8. Leroy's Lawns

Leroy's Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NY

Trust me guys, if you'e targeting res. you don't want them to know that you probably make more than a doctor or lawyer and you definately don't want a flashy new truck.

Remember this only applies for mowing, not landscaping.

One season in my shiny new Power Wagon and getting on site new customers (meaning neighbors or people driving by) went way down.

They want the lawn guy to be put in his place in life. Let them think he is and you can laugh all the way to the bank.

9. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

The commercial customers I have expect up scale service, up scale equipment and a clean crew (uniforms, clean shaven, well kept hair etc.). The residential customers I have, would blow their top if I showed up with dirty or old equipment. This can be a pain in the but when it's 10.00 pm. and you're washing the trucks, trailers and mowers for the next day. But that's the type of clientel I chose. I may have gotten of the topic, new trucks/trailers and uniforms have done nothing but help my busness.

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I see that there is a dregref of logic behind all of this, but I always have presented myself to the best of my ability. No, all of my gear is not new, but when I am working or meeting with a client, I always look respectable, as does my gear. It just makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.