1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you mostly do acreage lots or small lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Aug 29, 2002.

Pick the one that best applies

1. I mainly do acreage lots, one acre or more (upto 6?)

9 vote(s)
  2. I mainly do small in town lawns, usually fenced and gated with several obstacles.

23 vote(s)
  3. I do some of both, average 1/2-1/2 (if not about 1/2-1/2, vote one of other choices)

18 vote(s)
  1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hi guys, I was wondering how many of you mainly do acreage lawns and how many mainly do smaller lawns. Alot of lawns around me are 1 acre to 4 or even 6 acres. Course, alot of smaller ones too, pop. of 38,000 in the city and about 67k or 72k can't remember in the whole county and this is the main town in the county, plus alot of people here live in additions and small neighborhoods with larger lawns. Alot of in town lawns but to me it seems like it's easier and more profitable to work larger, 1-6 acre lawns than stopping for 15-30 minutes and doing a small PITA lawn with alot of fences and obstacles etc. lot of trimming, and then drive 10 minutes to the next one. BTW, the mowers I'm going to use on these situations are a 32" eXmark belt drive w/b and a 61" Scag STHM 3 wheel outfront rider. Both will be rebuilt (in peices now) and have new engines and many new parts. I have done both kinds of lawns before and I prefer larger lawns. The problem seems to be that those kind of people usually mow it theirself right now, and planned on mowing it when they got the house, which most are less than 10 year old houses, and alot actually enjoy doing the mowing :confused: :rolleyes: ... plus the larger the lawn, the more it will cost and it's easier for them to think that they're going to pay too much for this as well. I guess I mean to say, they usually don't appreciate you that much :rolleyes:
    So what do ya'll prefer?
    Oh yea, how fast can you mow with the mowers I mentioned and still get a good cut? How much power should I look for in an engine for the Scag 61" STHM? Will 18hp be enough or should I get the 20 just in case? We're talkin' Kohlers here :cool: :)
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We handle 1/4 acre to several acre sized lots.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Smallest yard takes 8 minutes (1 guy, 22inch Personal Pace), biggest yard takes 2 1/2 hours (1 guy, 44inch Toro WB). BushBoy- Get a bunch of those little PITA yards in the same neighborhood and you can make a killing!!!!

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My lawns are like 65hoss'.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My lawns average 1/4 acre to 5.5 acres. I would have to say my average lot comes in around 1 acre, give or take.

Sometimes smaller ones are nice and profitable, sometimes the bigger ones are. Just depends.
  6. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Largest lawn is 1 acre. would love to have more 1acre or more I just love cutting bigger lawns. BUT some small ones are real money makers.:blob4:
  7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

For me.
    They go from 1/4 acre residential up to my clinics(two together)that eat up an entire city block.
    Lots of variety.;)
  8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to make it sound like I'm putting down small lawns but to me they're a pain. I grew up on about 1.5 acre yard and we moved to the 2.25 acre one we're on now, so naturally I'm more at home on a larger lot. I seem to make about the same $ per hour average on any size lawn, but smaller ones don't bring in alot here. You can get about $30-35 per acre here at tops, I'm not kidding. Its pretty low around here...
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

bushhogboy-it is time to realize that 1/4 acre yards and 6 acre yards are all done faster if you have a Flex-Deck. You can talk all you want, and ask all you want about how to do these deals, but it boils down to efficiency. You have to:

1. Cut mowing time

2. Cut trimming time:

3. Cut # of employees if you have any

4. Maximize the hourly production of the machines you have

5. Maximize the acres you can do with a machine.

Only one way to do it and that is a one time investment in a Flex-Deck
  10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

save your breath, Brad... I'm not interested in a Flex Deck right now even though it is a fine looking accessory. Besides I don't recall you saying that it will fit a 61" Scag STHM?? Or a 32" eXmark?
    I don't think you could have enough power to run that extra 18" and still go as fast as you could w/o it, so how are you more effecient? It looks great for trimming though.