Do you mow any yards the same way each week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JClawncare, May 11, 2006.

1. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many people mow yards the same way each week ,either striping the same or just round and round?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not a good idea to do that. Got to change directions, it cuts down on any rutting that may occur.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Some of them until I can see that it is taking it's toll, but the striping effect is Unbeliveable.

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two lawns where its almost impossible to mow in different directions and you can clearly see the lawns starting to rut. I now use a lighter walk behind on those lawns to try and minimize it. Normally i change my pattern every week unless im in a real rush.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

A different direction each mow.East-West north-south, diagonal

6. JClawncare

Just wondering I try not to but I do on one yard. But I have noticed a few yards that are mowed the same way over and over to the point the mower could guide itself due to the ruts. It just got me thinking about how many others do the same.

7. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

I do on a few lawns. I do not have to deal with many ruts from mowers because of sandy soils. Things have to be wet to make ruts up hear.

P.S. I run grasshopper frount-mounts so there is a little less ground presure compared to a mid-mount.

8. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I change it up every two weeks. Any longer than that, the grass doesn't cut right, and then don't look good.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

so you have been in business for 5 years, and you dont know how to mow????:dizzy:

10. JClawncare

Dave- Yes I do know how to mow. 5yrs. under my company and 3yrs. under another one. I just asked the question because I have noticed it for more than a few years now and I have seen more and more people doing it. Was just wondering how they get away with doing it without the owner complaining. I didn't mean to offend you Dave.:cry: