do you mow at 36 degrees ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Nov 3, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

so i get up this morning and get my kids off to school about 7:15 and decide not to go out until about 10:00 or so because the thermometor read 36 .but then by 10:00 it was climbing toward 50 or so , so then it was time to go to work . so do yall cut lawns in the 30's or do you wait until it gets a little warmer . it just seems a little ironic to wear a jacket while cutting grass .

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Dang right I cut em and love it! After 2 months of blistering 100+ degree days and high humidity Ill take 30 degrees (or colder) anyday!

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I've cut with frost on the ground before, not the most fun but it works in a pinch.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have cut lawns when it was snowing before, but I usually wait and let the frost melt away before sitting a large piece of equipment on the lawn. I have damaged lawns before by putting equipment on it when the frost was there

5. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

You have no Idea, I mow with a ski mask, hood, gloves, coat, Longjohns, you name it.It gets cold up here in the Northland,(Minnesota)

6. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh, it seems every year around this time until the second week of december, and then when the contract starts againg the end of febuary, I will be mowing some morinings below freezing with my car-hart jacket, coveralls, gloves and stalking cap.

And yes after the hot summer, it is welcoming.

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

well iv cut and plowed on the same day you have to love Cleveland Iv also played golf in January the lake was frozen but i was in shorts and a t shirt it was seventy out.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i always said, nothing more comfortable then mowing in cold weather, with a hooded sweatshirt, and jeans..
    i throw this sleeveless vest/jacket over it, i'm golden.

9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

dang now yall are dedicated lol :D

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

me also, second week of december is usaully the mowing cut off. after that, i do some odds and ends i had put off during the sweltors, like pulling shrubs out, etc.