Do you mow in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Apr 28, 2000.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have read some posts about rain but do you mow when its raining? I do sometimes but only with the toro side discharge. I do not mow when thunderstorms are possible or if its raining buckets but I have done it. <br>If you do what type of equipment works best for you and do you have any problems?<br>Most of my customers are pretty understanding and I have had no complaints.<br>Get out there and watch the pennies from heaven - at least its not snow. :)

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

to me snow is like 10$ bills from heaven(LOL)<br>-Nick

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

We try not to mow in the rain,as we bag all<br>our jobs.The tractor and slasher is a different story though,I've cut grass that<br>was partially underwater.Need some serious<br>power for that.<p>Karl<br>

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The only rain around here comes from irrigation systems and I can turn those off! That stuff your talking about doesn't exist anymore does it?<p>Homer

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I do some commercial stuff after a rain. I have finished trimming a job during a rain. But none of my residential customers want me cutting in the rain. I dont like the way a yard looks after someone has cut in a rain. I just never do it. Looks to the customer like all you care about is making money and not how their yard looks. And the clogging of grass during discharge is a mess. I guess in some areas of the country you have no choice. But here in the south the rain doesnt last long. It rained here this morning and now it sunny. I have a commercial job I can do.

6. Hello:<p>We did a lot of mowing in the rain, but not heavy rain. I let my customers know up front that if need be, we would work in the rain.<p>When it did rain we mainly trimmed bushes & mowed our smaller lawns. We did it a lot one year. It rained so much, LOL I thought it was going to put us out of business.<p>We ran Honda HRC216's they will bag wet grass in the rain. No problems either & you couldn't tell by looking at the lawns either that it was mowed in the rain at all.<p>WE cut centipede grass which is very easy grass to work with. It's fairly thin grass & that was the only grass that our accounts had. Only 1 Zoysia lawn & 2 Bermuda lawns in the whole town. We didn't do them.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

7. Over here we sometimes have to work in the rain. One advantage of working on hills. Good drainage. It's all conditions. If the grass is not growing, we fertilize. If it's raining not too hard, grass is tall, we cut it. It's when the ground is all muddy, or soft, we won't cut. I know it's not the best thing for the grass, but I don't get paid for not doing nothing either.<br>Jean<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

8. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I will only cut in the rain if it is a commercial job.I will cut if it is only spitting.I will also try to finish the job if I have allready started.I don't like standing in the rain when it is lightning out and holding onto a trimmer(metal rod)very much.But have have done it a couple of times before.<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care

9. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

Yes I will cut in the rain if needed. I have a 61&quot; dual drive ferris that loves to work in the rain wil also use our Lazer's. Absolutely no belt drives. Its bad enough I'm working in the rain I dont need to push the mower too!

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I do mow in the rain when in need to. It's not a problem with erics two blade system and mow-ez in the decks.