Do you mow in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MATTHEW, Jan 14, 2002.

?

Do you mow in the rain?

Poll closed Jan 29, 2002.
  1. Yes. We mow every day no matter what

14 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Maybe. If we're way behind & have to

43 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. No. We will not mow in the rain

17 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Last year it was not much of a problem, but the year before, we had 2-3 days of rain a week. Since we had an El nino and another one is forming, I might gueass we'll have another wet one. I did not cut in the rain, so I had to squeeze it all in 3-4 days. I did see a lot of guys out there doing it in the rain. I will not.
    Do you?

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah we mowed in the rain. Not to much of a problem I did not mow in the really really hard rain but waited for it to slow or stop. We did have to switch from enclosed trailer to open trailer till the end of the season then switch back due to the mess it made in the trailer. In the enclosed trailer when we hit bumps transporting the mowers it would drop ALL of the grass that was stuck under the mower. And I mean ALOT would come off of it EACH lawn so we switched to a open trailer so that when we hit bumps it would work its way through the grating while transporting and leave nothing to celan up. The amount that would come off of all the mowers togather after one lawn would fit 2.5 5 gallon buckets.

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, rain sleet hail or snow. the post man aint got nothing on me. really I run tight on time and hate to be behind.

4. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

We don't like cutting in the rain but we have too. If it rained for 2-3 days in a row we would not get our accounts done by the end of the week. We just have to take a bit longer to blow the grass clippings off the driveways and walkways and make sure there are no clumps of grass. The only problem we do run into if it raining very hard the drive belts on our 32" Toro start to slip, usally when we go up the ramp on the trailer.

Ray

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

We have no choice if were behind.

7. CPLLTT

CPLLTT LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

We do, and we shouldn't. It is really not good for the lawn, it causes excessive compaction and ruts. But business is business........

8. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I do not like to, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Especially if you are getting behind on your schedule.

SJR

9. AustinJ

AustinJ LawnSite Member

My route is still pretty loose since last year was my first year, so I was able to not mow when it was raining too hard, and just compress the schedule and make it up. Hopefully I'll get some more accounts next season, in which case I probably will mow in the rain. But, like Alpine Meadows says, if the ground gets too wet and my mowers start leaving ruts, I'd rather just wait until it dries out some.

10. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

According to the Weather Service in the 46 days since Dec 1st ,its rained on 33 of them here,as we pick up all the grass on most lawns I just keep mowing till the Walker will not suck it up anymore, then its home time,heavy rain and long spring grass theres only so much any mower will pick up :cry: .

Weather forecast for tomorrow:Fine and Sunny 85 :cool: