do you mow or trim first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clear-Cut, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i read (and its kind of common sense) that if you trim first and then mow over the clippings so the yard will look cleaner because you wont see the clippings from doing the edges...

but then again what if you trim first and then realize that you didnt trim enough because the mower still cant get all of the grass...then you have to pull the trimmer out..AGAIN.. and finish the job...?

i currently mow, trim, then blow and usually the grass doesnt get high enough where there are just blades of grass laying aroud the edges..

what do you guys do?

2. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

On my yards I usually mow first, then trim and blow. Sometimes I trim first just to change things up once in a while. If you trim first, make sure you trim wide just to make sure you don't have to bring the trimmer back out after you are done mowing. I don't know if this pertains to you, but I also edge the hard surfaces before mowing, then let the deck of the mower hang over the edge to suck up the edgings. Just my .02.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I mow, trim, blow, and leave. If you have to pull the trimmer out again your wasting your time. Once in a while I'll have someone want the wood line trimmed so I do it first but 99.9% of the time I mow first

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We trim and mow at the same time.

5. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow, trim then blow. It makes sence to trim first but for me it just doesn't seem to work.

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow,trim,blow and get up and go

7. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Mow trim and blow. If you trim first and then mow the wheels push the grass over the edge (Hard of Soft) and it doesn't look clean straight and sharp.

8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

ok good lol just making sure im doing it the "right" way lol

i dont think i would change it anyway though...it would be a pain in the ass to trim first i think

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

mow, trim, blow here then on to the next one.

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually mow and trim at the same time, however if the edges are overgrown, like 8 inches, then I will trim first.

Cheers
    Jeff