1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you mow St. Aug grass if it's heat stressed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sancho_man_orlando, Aug 20, 2007.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I have a new customer who I trimmed shrubs, hedges and was going to mow until I noticed that just by walking through a few spots to get to the hedges you could see my foot prints. It was real crunchy... leaves were tucked in trying to hang onto water by not exposing the entire leaf to the sun... So I didn't mow it. I edged and lightly trimmed and left a note for the owner that I couldn't mow due to it being heat stressed.

What should my next step be?

His irrigation system is on a lock and I told him he needed to provide access so I can run it through the zones and check the timer so I could see what's going on.

Should I have mowed that lawn or did I make the right decision? I'm wondering if the owner will be upset?
  2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The chances are the turf, with the symptoms you are describing, is not heat stressed. This sounds more like an insect problem - particularly if only patches are affected and not the whole site.
    Question, can you post photos of the site in general, aka establishing shots then specific photos of the affected areas?
    This would help in a more accurate diagnosis of the problem.
  3. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

some do get upset, everything around here is getting that way... all crunchy, ive had some quit when ive skipped for the same reason, nowdays I just mow regardless
  4. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

It is not similar in appearance to chinch bug infestation.

Not patchy such as what you'd see with chinch, brown patch or TARR.

This is the entire front lawn (which isn't that big).

I suspect the irrigation system may not be turned on and we've had several days without a drop.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Sounds like it simply needs water. I think you did the right thing by not mowing it until it gets some water.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You did the right thing, IMO, if in doubt don't cut it, you really can't go wrong with that attitude in this heat unless it's super tall.
    I don't care much for dormant or dead grass, it costs me money too once it's dead, more so if the customer hires someone else to re-do it, worse still is if I get the blame. Oh it blows to sit there and look at lawns that aren't growing, but nothing is worse than a dead lawn.

We all have to cut it at some point, but I'll push lawns past HOA limits just to keep them green, and green they stay.
    Stressed, but green.

If a customer says something, I voice my concern to them, I let them know why, and where I stand in regards to things.
    That usually takes care of it, some insist I cut it anyhow, I hate to do it but at that point there's no more I can do.

Other notes: I find it interesting the HOA only sends letters to those with the worst looking turf, not so much in the sense of it being uncut, but the quality of the lawn itself. I would say I like how they do that, but I'm afraid of HOA's.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea, that's all we have here in Texas...." well not all we have "

but 99% is st. Aug.

It needs water