1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Do you mow the same pattern every week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shearbolt, Aug 4, 2002.

1. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

I mow the same stripe every week without ever alternating patterns. I have never noticed any damage to the lawn. Are there any solid reasons to alternate your pattern or is this just a mowing myth passed on from generation to generation. To those who alternate: don't you mow around buildings and landscaping the same direction everytime. Is the grass damaged in these areas?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what kind of machine you are using. A walkbehind is light enough that it does not do all that much harm to mow in the same tracks every week. A 1,000 pound ZTR will make some pretty deep ruts in the soil if you mow in the same tracks every week. Just try striping 90 degrees from what you ussually do and you will feel each and every rut you have created!

3. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

YEAH,YOU SHOULD WANT TO CHANGE DIRECTIONS TO KEEP FROM GETTING BORED.ALTERNATING PATTERNS ARE TO KEEP FROM SETTING TRACKS.I EVEN ALTERNATE BETWEEN RIDER AND WALK-BEHIND.CUSTOMERS MAY LIKE YOU TO ALTERNATE ALSO,IF THE TERAIN PERMITS.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

mowing different directions also gives u better stripes.

5. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

OOPS,TERRAIN,YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

6. Exmark 52" Turf Tracer WB weight aprox 750# add velke

Ferris DD52" aprox 800# add velke

Dixie Chopper 60" weight aprox 1001#

Exmark Lazer aprox 1000#

Were does the weight of the machine have to do with wearing ruts in the ground?:confused:

Most of the ZTR'S have wider tires and have less of a ground PSI.

We usually run in 2 directions, but when it gets as hot and dry as it has this season we switched the directions to keep from stressing the grass and made new lines, still doing 2 sets of stripes.

These and trees are the first to show the signs of wear and tear. Try and not to run in the same tracks when doing these. I teach everyone to move over and then alternate these passes. When going around scaping, go wider one week that the previous week.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

From what I have read, I believe changing the mowing pattern is good. By doing so, it promotes strong and level turf surfaces which forces the grass to grow upward rather than falling in a horizontal position.

Is this scientifically proven? Well I don't know, but it makes sense to me.

8. SterlingLawn

SterlingLawn LawnSite Member

I believe you are correct in changing direction as it does stress the lawn. If you were to consistently mow the same direction the grass would actually grow in that direction over time. I have alternated cutting angle every time with the exception of small side yards. Mow / \ - |. Also in the fall I will do a reverse outline after outlining and mowing property with discharge cut-off because even when changing mowing angles, you tend to always outline the same way over time. Just my 2 cents.

9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I like to alternate every week. for the ones that want it one way i usually try to use diagnol stripes that face the driveway so the customer can see how nice the stripes are. :D

10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I try and change every two weeks or so. With the ground being so saturated here it's easy to start leaving ruts.I may change the direction or just move it over a foot or so to avoid ruts in the turf. I run the rears on the Z at 8-10 psi.