do you need a license in nj

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobcatnj, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

do you need a license in nj to apply bagged lawn fertilizer?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told that anyone applying fertilizer "for hire" needs to be licensed by the state. I would get licensed, upsell to your current customers and start increasing your profits.

3. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

you can apply sraight fertlizier not a weed and feed, not round up, not insecticide.

4. Dave Maher

Dave Maher LawnSite Member

Yes, you need a license. It may be very confusing, as I was before I got mine. If you apply anything, and are paid for it, you need to be licensed. Even if you are applying Scotts 4 step program for a customer.
    There are no legal ways around it unless you take the chance of being stopped for an inspection by your county health dept. or DEP official.
    Here is the # 609-530-4070 to the NJ Pesticide Control Office. They are the best ones to ask if you still have any doubt.

Dave

5. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

As long as it is only fertilizer you can apply it with no lisc. Dont get caught using anything else, you could loose everything you have with you the day you get caught e.g. truck, spreaders, trailers, the list goes on. Bottom line is that you should get a lisc, then you will understand the proper way to apply and when to apply.

6. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I just applied for mine, going to the training class tomorrow. Books were 65$ and the class is 110$.....but then you can put anything down with no worries. You can put it down with no license, but cant charge for it...lol so unless you wanna be a really nice broke guy......go get a license. Its cheap and easy.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

New Jersey absolutely does not require a license to apply a stand alone fertilizer. Scott's 4 step program includes fertilizer with herbicide. Herbicide is a pesticide, as is insecticide, miticide, rodenticide, etc. Any business that applies a product that includes a pesticide with an EPA Registration # must be a Registered
    Pesticide Applicator Business with a Responsible Certified Pesticide Applicator on staff. You must take the training course for the business, have the correct insurance and an employee or owner must obtain a license as a Registered Pesticide Applicator. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo-licensing.htm

The class Pietro is taking will not allow him to apply pesticides until he has a Certified Pesticide Applicator on staff. The class will familiarize him somewhat of the legal aspects of a pesticide business, but provides no training on the proper and effective use of pesticides. In order top be an applicator, one must pass two tests on proper pesticide usage. In order pass those tests you need to purchase and study the Core and Category manuals available at your county extension office.

Bottom line, if you are not well trained and following the law, you have no business applying pesticides.

8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

dont forget that when you actually apply for your licenses you have to pay fees every year. to be an lco applying fertilizer you will need to pay:

Commercial Pesticide Applicator - $75/year
    Pesticide Applicator Business - $150/year

and you will also need insurance to cover pesticide application

i was planning on doing it this year, but im just gunna wait until im done with college next year because im not going to have the time or money to be doing that and then advertising to make up for all the money i will be spending on registering...so im waiting until i go fulltime, then my goal is to have every customer that i maintain the lawn for on an application plan of some sort and also some just fert customers