do you need a license to dig up the ground

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmudder77, Apr 5, 2007.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

i heard you need a license before you put a shovel in the ground is it true?

also what about tilling? do you need a license for this too?

i want to go big but i also want to be safe and not get in troble if you need a licenses

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Every State is different. Here in WV you need a contractors license to do ANY THING, unless you are doing it for yourself. The Landscape Contractor License is really a sham, but it allows you to get in the door with some wall work, concrete work, final grading, planting, etc, but does not allow for excavating type work.

Tim

3. bigmudder77

im in ohio and have some one that needs a flower bed tilled its like one pass with the tiller and about 5ft long i said id do it for $30 and thats pretty much gonna cover the gas and have about a $20 profit for like 5 mins of work. i just needed to know if i will get in to troble doing this?

i also have a contract they have to sign which mean i am not responsible for any damage and if there is any damage the homeowner or whoever is signing is responsible

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Before you dig, call Miss Utility, it's the law!

5. Tim Wright

I cannot imagine that you need anything for tilling other than a business license for tax reasons, but I could be wrong.

Tim

6. bigmudder77

thats what i thought but i wasnt sure and i wanted to make sure before i went and did it. i have about a month before she wants it done cause she needs to dig up her plants that are there and some of them are pretty big and could give her some problims

7. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Are you guys being serious? tilling&needing a licence???I cannot see a tiller for a wee bed going into the ground more than 16inches,I thought all lines were put to a minimum of 4ft deep? All last summer i was digging around 30", to put in half mile long posts into the ground.

8. Tim Wright

Exactly, I agree. But I do not konw if this guy is in business or not.

Tim

9. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Realistically, the tiller blades may not even go into the soil past the 8 inch mark, if something where that close to the top it was'nt put in right is my quam.

10. bigmudder77

well its at a trailer and i dont need to get sued for that. she said the water line was a little farther up and it wasnt in more than 4inches cause she did it her self. so you see what i mean