Do you need a wb when you have a ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I love about this business is the new toys that are always bright and shiny and that I of course "can't live without."

Lately I have been wondering about 36" + walkbehinds.
    I have a Walker and it does great. But I wonder if there are walk behinds that give comparable cuts, are reliable, and do an excellent job mulching. AND then I wonder "Do I need one or am I just wanting a new toy to play with?"

Right now I have a 42" Walker ghs and a couple of 21" wb. My nearest emark dealer is about 250 miles away. I'd like to demo a wb. Anyone know anything about the John Deere gs30 mowers advertised on the used equip. forum? Are they commercial? Does deere give a decent cut?

Any of you dump the 21" and use only larger?

I do have a part time helper so maybe it would improve efficiency.

Just busy dreamin and schemin...

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Well you are asking the right guy!I also own a walker.The summer before last we had picked up alot of new clients,About 30%.We had a new walker with a 54'' side discharge.It works great,but it will not fit in many backyards.We had the mathod of 2 21'' mowers for that job.Slow and hard work.We decided like you to look into a small walk-behind.We then soon bought a 36'' dual hydro scag.That machine is as good as a buy as our walker or better!It has a cut that the walker can even come close to,it is fast,powerful,get in tight places and the list goes on!I say if you can afford it go for it!But make sure to buy a dual hydro!!!!No gear!The gear are cheaper but the hydros easy to use and much faster!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

3. Buy a 52" toro. They are the mules of this industry. There are always many used machines to choose from on the market at any time.

With a 14" offset deck and with the t bar steering you don't end up eating trees in order to trim around them.

They must be the most massed produced commerical lawn mower of all time.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with hydrostatic trannys as well. They allow us to cut even when its wet out and those with belt drives have stopped cutting.

As far as deck sizes, IMHO it is necessary to at least have a 36" available at your discretion. I think that for the newer biz owners that a 22 trim mower and 36 wb are vital pieces of equipment until they become familiar with where they can operate machines safely.

Then they should keep the 36 as a back up unit or just use it for tight spots they cannot manuver a 48" in.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Of course it always depends on the accounts you have, want or exclude. The way I see it, to be able to take on just about ANY account, you at least need as a minimum: a 21" WB, a 32"-36" WB, a 42"-52" WB, a 52"-72" ZTR or rider. You can confidently walk on to 99% of all property prospects knowing you can do it.

I think quality of cut is determined by too many factors other than just WB or ZTR! The conditions and grass types play so much into qaulity cut as well as the manufacturer's model it self.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Skookum on this. I only target the bigger lawns that I have on my picture page, so I have no use for a 36" W/B. I only take the 21" along on one day a week. We only use it for around inground swimming pools and we do those all in one day. The rest of week the 21" is in the shop collecting dust. We use 60" decks for the rest of the cutting.

7. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i see alot of trailers with just ztrs on them no other mowers.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the exmark wb 36". You can't beat the cut and mulching ability. I only use it on just a few lawns. Backyards only. I never worry about can I do a property, more like, do I really want this one? Great feeling.

It will increase your productivity over 2 21". Much faster and better cut with the wider deck, it will be much smoother. Put a sulky behind it and watch your helper enjoy himself. Mine loved it. Made him work harder.

9. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a JD GS30. 36" with 14 Kaw hydro. Very good cut!
    Mower built like a tank. Wish I not need it, but I have a few large areas only the 36 will go.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own an Exmark 36" hydro and an Exmark 48" hydro. I use the 48 as my main machine and the 36 only for a backup. I have nothing against riders, I just choose to walk for the exercise. Also I'm not afraid to take my w/b's anywhere. My son jokes with me and says "dad you're not getting any younger, time for a rider". Someday...