do you need all those heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jun 4, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I went to an estimate today. Its a spec house about 5,000 square feet on 1 1/2 acre with pool and tennis court. so i counted about 65 rotory heads 20 spray and a couple of drip zones. this also includes a zone for the tennis court (hard-tru). $10,000-$12,000 this was just a rough estimate because the final landscape plan is not yet laid out but it was pretty close.

so i went over the estimate with him and he almost fell over when I told hm the price. Then he started in with "you don't need all those heads you could do it with 50 total". I told him about head to head coverage and all that but he wasnt hearing it. He than asked if I would do it within a $5000.00-$6000.00 buget and do the best I can with that. My first reaction was NO but I could use the work. my fear is that if i build it the way he wants he wont be happy in the end because the system will suck. And the other thing is i dont want a reputation of puting in sh!t systems. What would you guys do?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Stick to your guns man. Don't give in. He'll do just like you said and complain later on.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

dont walk away. RUN AWAY...

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One can do 'builder systems' that are effective, but it does nothing for one's professional ego. If the buyer knows he's trading down from a Mercedes to a Hyundai, you might be able to do a deal. $6000 doesn't even get you a faucet for that tennis court.

An acre-and-a-half plus tennis court plus drip zones was a $10K system in the previous century, let alone this one.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A design was done for the house & the landscaping (& paid for): why was the irrigation
    not designed (& also paid for) & put out to bid? :dizzy:

7. greenmonster304

8. greenmonster304

this guy bought this house 1/2 finnished cheap because the original builder went bust. He is going to flip it. around here it is rare for a customer/project manager to have an irrigation design and ask companies to bid on it the irrigation co usualy does the design.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If I were to do builder systems today, I'd want a hefty deposit.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

How about cash out front? Those guys are slimeballs.