Do you need landscape mat or can you use "preen"?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clydesdale, Jun 6, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I was told i dont need mat under mulch, instead just spray "preen". What do you think? Thanks

2. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a customer that does it this way. works for them very well!

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Landscape fabric (mat) is VERY over-hyped. Where I live, the witchgrass (quackgrass) and bindweed (convovolus) comes up right through it and everything else IN THE WORLD seeds in on top of whatever mulch is put on it.

And then here's the problem of allowing for expansion of plant materials' root systems.

Incredible as it may seem, I once had to go in and remove a large area of landscape fabric because the bozo who installed it had put it down OVER THE PLANTS (early in the spring) without cutting any openings for the plants to grow through. Yes, he knew that the plants were there. The homeowner was not amused.

Keeping the edges of the fabric below ground can also be problematical; particularly in windy areas.

4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I was amazed at the great results of granular Preen.

I worked it into the topsoil befotr planting and have not seen weeds.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

preen is trifluran. any preemergent will also work. snapshot is about the best thing out there. Landscape fabric does not work that well... it will help, BUT you will still get weeds if it is used all by itself...

6. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

how often do you need to reapply preen? or just at the time of mulching?