1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you need licensed if fertilizing for free?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by K.Carothers, Dec 23, 2004.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

If I offer a free fertilizing with new accounts do I still need to be licensed? I was told If the customer buys I can apply-Is this true? What if I buy and apply and not charge the customer?
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Sticky one, better check with your pest control board. Varies from state to state. I think that there is a sticky at the top that should connect you with your state board and you can get the rule book for your state, some may even have one on line.
  3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say " YES ."
    It's not free , it's built into the price .
  4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets just say that you do give it away for free. Can you do it or not?
  5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure, as long as it is someone that you don't do ANY paid work for. You can help out your neighbor, but not your customers. These people have been sealing up loopholes in the law longer than you've been trying to circumvent them.

Check with your county extension agent for the law as it applies in your state.
    Here in Tennessee, straight fertilizer can be applied without a license, but no pesticides.
    "Feed" - Yes
    "Weed And Feed" - NO
    Most people want the "weed and feed" so that's why I said NO at first.
    Most people think that because they can buy a product for their own yard, their lawn-man can apply it.

6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Check with your states licensing department.In Alabama,one can apply fertilizer and lime with no license.We are required to have a license if ANY type of pesticide(weeds are included as a pest) is to be applied.So,you may be able to apply the fert.,just not a weed and feed.
  7. crawdad

Nick posted while I was editing...
    We need someone from PA to clear this up. Jodi, stop stalking odin for a sec, and answer this for us, will you please?
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What are we talking about here? When he says fert what exactly does he mean?

Does he need a pesticide applicator license?
    Certification as a commercial or public applicator is required if:

A pesticide application is being made to a property not owned or rented by the applicator or their employer.
    Restricted use pesticides or fumigants are being applied on property rented or owned by the applicator.
    It doesn't matter if it's free, you still need one. That's how I interpret it. Call the extension office for clarification though.
    Who is odin?
  9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

According to some of the post I've seen here , you need a license to apply Fertilizers in some states .
    I believe Florida is one .
  10. crawdad

Good answer.
    Odin is some dude with ruffled feathers, I hear. Sounds kinda strange to me.