Do You Need To Vacuum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JW1, Nov 24, 2005.

1. JW1

JW1 LawnSite Member

I am looking to get into sgring cleanup of residential lawns. I have used my old regular lawn mower with a power rake blade and it gets by. I now want the real deal, so I have been looking at power rakes. Discovered there are at least 3 types of blades (attachments) you can get and think I want the knife one as I want to clean up spring lawns from winter and not necessarily dethatch. Firstly, am I correct in assuming that the flail attachment is used for dethatching and I need the knives instead? Also, I found with my old method, bagging was useless, so I just bagged it after by going over it again with my mower. I have a salesman wanting to sell me a Husky power rake with a bag. Will this clean up the lawn or will I also need to buy a vacuum to clean up after power raking. I guess I'm asking if the bagger on the power rake is a wasted $400 extra. Would it be better to put that into a vacuum anyway? I like the idea of one machine doing both jobs because of hauling all of this around in my small trailer. Any ideas on the best power rake around and if buying used is okay. I've noticed a few used Bluebirds around. Thanks for listening everyone. Looking forward to learning. Jim

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

From what iv'e seen the ones with the bags are worthless. they tend to clog and if they do work they get full VERY fast.

There is no easy method for removing a large volume of dead grass and thatch from a lawn. Mowers work ok with a collection system but sometimes a good old fashioned rake is as fast.

If you are looking to just clean up lawns in the spring, removing dead leaves and cleaning up matted grass then you really don't need a powerrake. Something like a Jrco spring tine rake that fits on the front of your mower does a beautiful job for that.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See if you can rent a power broom. I'm talking about a walk behind kind.

John

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You need to talk to a few guys here who use the tine dethatchers. It will save you a lot of time and will likely do the job you want with a lot less work. Ask for some pictures of before and after.