1. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

Do you need a permit for an amber light on your truck in New Jersey?

2. snow

snow Guest

tim- the people to ask would be steveair or chuck(our moderator). i know in CT everyone has them, so you don't need a permit. i found a site that had all the laws/regulations,etc. when i find it i'll post the new jersey info on here. i'm 99% sure you don't need one though.

bryan
    :eek:

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Tim, Just go to the New Jersey DOT website and they willhave all the regs for the state for trucks, trailers, etc. Amber is not a problem, thats why you se most people running amber strobes on utility trucks. They start having a $hit fit when you break out the red and blue ones. (because they are designated for emergency vehicles) Hope you find the exact info on their site!!

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Correction, snow, in Connecticut a permit is required. It cost $7.00 per year July 1 thru June 30. You get it only thru the Wethersfield DMV, and it must be signed by the local police chief prior to sending to DMV. Ask for form E215. For more info see http://www.ct-clic.com/detail.asp?code=965

5. snow

snow Guest

If the police here actually enforced it, there would be no one with yellow lights. around here, everyone has them on their vehicles. the police have better things to worry about, than if someone doesn't have a permit for a yellow light. In the winter, everyone puts yellow lights on their vehicles when plowing. do you think the cops in my town care?

bryan

6. thelawnguy

Snow writes, " i know in CT everyone has them, so you don't need a permit"

Just because a law isnt enforced in your locale doesnt mean there isnt one on the books.

Yes, the local police ignore them, I have never been stopped and asked for my permit, it will come into play when you are involved in some minor infraction, parking, pushing snow in the street, fender bender with no clear at-fault party, then the lack of permit will be the trump card to get that violation charged to you. Then who will be the scrub???

FYI DMV inspectors will ask for it during one of those roadside inspection lanes they periodically set up. $77 fine.

Tim1075, I checked the NJ website for the question, couldnt find any reference there. Maybe give the local DMV office a buzz?

7. snow

snow Guest

That's a good point. If that $7 permit could save you from a $77 fine, well, the permit would be the way to go. does a contractor need just one permit for lights, or one for each truck?

:eek: bryan:eek:

8. thelawnguy

It is specific for the vehicle. One for each truck. I got mine for my truck at the suggestion of another contractor. Just drop it off at the PD front desk, they mail it back to me a few days later with the signature then I send it to DMV.

The same permit is also good for red, blue, and white lights but the other colors need the ok of the fire chief (I guess for volunteer firemen/ambulance workers)

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I know, you do need a permit in NJ to run an amber light. I'm not sure where to get it, though I know the DOT has to issue it. I found this out from a friend who went to annual State motor vehicle inspection. They asked him where his permit was for his permanently mounted light.
    I would imagine that it's a cheap fee like the $7 others mentioned.
    My amber lights are magnetic mount, and so is my brother's. We only have them on when actively plowing. We NEVER use them when transporting from job to job on roads.
    That may be a key here. If the truck is in a lot, plowing, then the police can't issue a summons. That would be like them issuing a summons for plowing with a back hoe, with no liscense plates on it. If it's not on the road, they can't do much. Now if you plan to plow roadways, then you should get the permit. If it was easier to find out how and where to get one in NJ, I'd get one myself. Occassionally I park my truck curbside with the amber lights and hazzard flashers on, when we are clearing sidewalks. This is to alert traffic that we are working there. Then again, I sometimes drop a few cones behind my truck as well. I wonder if I need a permit to use cones on a road?
    I do it for safety sake. I also wear a reflective orange vest when doing walks close to the curb.
    Amber lights are typically used to alert other drivers of a safety concern. Tow trucks all use them. Maybe you could ask a tow truck owner where and if he has a permit for his amber light? Red and blue lights are for emergency vehicles only. If it's not a municipal vehicle, or volunteer fire fighter's vehicle, you can't run them at all.

~Chuck

10. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

Chuck where in New Jersey are you?