Do you offer warranties?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jajwrigh, Oct 26, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

When you guys install trees and shrubs, do you offer so many months against disease and pathogens? I am looking for some kind of customer guarantee not related to their neglegance...

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I do not offer a warrenty,If you plant 7 trees and collect warrenty on each tree and only one dies,the rest of the warrenty money is free.I will not play this game.

If the plant dies from too much water or not enough I will replant for free but the client will have to buy the new plant.

:)

3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I offer them. On small install I do what cofeecraver does. On anything larger than a few plants the price includes a warranty. If you have seven truck with insurance and only reck one of them does your insurance company feel bad they charged you for all seven? It's insurance on their investment.

4. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Oops. sorry. I didn't read the whole post. My warranties are for the health of the plant and DO NOT for any reason allow for homeowner negligence. The warranty is mostly for workmanship and expertise. ex. If I put a Dogwwod tree is a spot that is always wet and it gets root rot, I replace it and relocate it. If a plant gets scale ten months after planting and dies I won't replace it, but if it was unhealthy from the start I will. DOes any of this make sense?

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

We offer one year for residentials, of course, homeowner negligence is not covered. 30 days for commercial properties.

6. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Exactly the same for us.

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We offer a 90 day warranty on plants always. (annauls and flowers excluded)

For an additional amount (seperate bid) we offer 1 year.

Labor time is not replaced and always billed for.

8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

my warranty is as follows:

All plantings as indicated will be guaranteed as follows: shrubs, trees, sod and seed for one (1) year from the date of the plating unless otherwise specified. Any deciduous trees or shrubs planted during the fall or winter will be guaranteed to break dormancy in the spring. Where plants die, one replacement per original plant will be made with plants of the original size at no cost to Purchaser/ Owner. Plants existing on the site, which are transplanted, are not covered under this guarantee. No guarantee shall be made for groundcovers (i.e. Ivy, Lirope, Vinca), or annuals except for improper installation methods. We must receive written notice at (your company name here) within one (1) year from planting for guarantee to be valid. We cannot be responsible for plants which die through no fault of Contractor, i.e. insufficient water, improper watering techniques, fire, and dogs and/or other animals, vandalism, or acts of nature such as freezing, hail, drought, floods, etc. Plants or materials stolen from site, which have not been planted will be replaced by Contractor, however plants or materials stolen from site once planted are Purchaser/OwnerÂ’s responsibility. (NOTE: Guarantee is void if payment schedule is not strictly adhered to or if written notice is not given as provided herein.)
    (your company name here) assumes no responsibility for care and maintenance of the plant materials after planting, unless by separate maintenance contract where responsibility is expressly assumed by ( your company name here)

hope this helps you guys out i know it sounds kinda carzy but think about it with a warenty like this you cant really go wrong, ive done roughly 60K in installs this year and have only replaced 5 plants....... i do it for a selling point b/c no one else around here offeres it............

9. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Why less for commercial?

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Why less? Because commercial properties take more abuse, i.e.: Traffic, cars, people walking through your gardens, when they are closed no telling what happens, often they don't get watered while they are away. Trash piles up blocking watering, drainage. The list goes on. Imagine planting 2000 plants in an apartment complex.....hundreds of cars, kids playing ball, people pouring grease out of their front door into your garden. The damaging possibilities are endless. Much easier just to offer a 30 day to make sure the plants take hold and get a good rooting and are disease free. After that, they are on their own.