Do you own a 4500 DMAX??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Sep 2, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Looked at one today but wasn't able to do a test drive for being short on time. Thought I'd post up and see who has one and how they like it? I've driv'n one with a 8.1L gas for a while as it was my truck at a previous company that I once worked for. My plans are to purchase one with a 14' dump on it this fall or spring. The 0% is nice.

2. Earth and Turf

Earth and Turf LawnSite Member

I work parttime for a Excavating Co. I am also a Firefighter. They have a Chevy 5500 with the Duramax and the Allison auto. Great truck it has a 12' dump we pull a 25' 10 ton tag with a 287 and sometimes a mini ex. It handles it extremly well. it will haul about 10 ton of sand or stone. We also have 2 Kenworth T-800 dumps and a 20 ton tag for 1 of them. The little dump will pull the D-4 with no problem. It is too much weight with the D-4 and the 287 together on the little trailer but no problem with the bigger one. Are you going to pull equipment or just haul material?

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Dads buddy just bought 3 5500s along with 3 3500s all dumps. Ask it and I'll get answers. I'm gonna get some pics up soon of his whole outfit.

4. tthomass

from N. VA

Mostly material but I'm buying equipment left and right............5500 and 4500......can one of you break down some differences? Is it just GW?

There's a 4500 DMAX sitting on the Chevy lot here.........they don't sell very fast here I don't think so maybe it will sit long enough until I'm ready to purchase that I can get them to come down to my price haha......its a flatbed 14' dump, just needs some sides and rear doors

5. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I bought a 2500HD this spring. It has a ton of power. The company I bought it from has many 2500's and up, mostly larger trucks. They swear by the Duramax. They probably have 10 to 15 of them in their fleet.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

I currently have a '02 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0L and 4.10 rear..............ext cab and 8' bed 4x4.

It doesn't usually move without a 10,000GW dump behind it (2500 empty). Does just fine but I want/need an actual dump and more than a 3500 will handle for making life easier. I just got a 16' enclosed trailer so I guess the idea is to get maintenance going with it and hire a couple guys.

I don't want to grow too fast but I'm young and have better things to do then drink 7 nights a week.

7. tthomass

from N. VA

www for buying these size trucks? I've found a couple but looking for more. I don't know why autotrader doesn't have them.

8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

go to trucktraderonline.com or bigtrucktrader.com

10. tthomass

from N. VA

thanks a lot, I don't know of any cons so just seeing what everyone's opinions are about them..........def not going Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily)

but if you could share on 5500 vs 4500 I'm all ears..........or anything really