Do you pay for your line in the Yellow Pages?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MacLawnCo, Dec 3, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been talking with a yellow page salesman recently, and all i want is just another place to find my number...not a huge add. I want a one liner with just the business name and number, and the salesman wants $120 for the year. Is he scamming me? BTW, its the yellow book..are they worth my time?
  2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds real cheap to me. Tell me, what is the population in your town.

Here in OKC I pay close to $100.00 a month for the smallest business line offered.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a scam. I just took out a 1/16th page display ad for that price in two different directories. If I recall, it was only like $10-15/month for a line listing alphabetically. This is for a Verizon Directory by the way. Also, you can have any number published in the Verizon Directory. You don't need to pay those exorbitant rates for a business line anymore just to get in the Yellow Pages. As a matter of Verizon ad is directed to my Nextel cell phone number. Reason being is that at this point I am only planning on advertising for a year and then see where I am at.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Any advertising is good advertising.$120.00 sounds like he's getting a nice little side bonus.We had 1/8 page listings w/ 2 color layout, one under "lawn maintenance" , and the other under" landscape contractors".The solo lines appeared under the same and an extra under "snow removal".Whole package-under 1K a year.The only problem we had w/ Yellow Pages was everyone had already called every other landcaper in the book, and was looking for the lowest price,period.These are not our ideal customers, we like quality oriented clients, not penny pinchers who don't care about the finished product. BTW-I did not renew this year. I plan on doing some TV spots next spring and seeing how that goes.payup
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yellow Book goes straight into the recycle bin here. Our phone company phone book is large enough by itself. I don't need 2 sets of yellow pages. BTW, a small ad in our yellow pages runs 300 to 400 a month.
  6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Here with the Bellsouth yellow pages you get you name and number free. with Bis phone that runs around 60.00 month.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

book distribution is right at 108k. Of that, my two targeted towns acount for about 40k.

I can afford up to a half page color ad, but its not what i want. I dont want the yello pages to be a source of cold leads for me, but rather people who see my work and dont know how to contact me. They already know they want me, so this would just help them get in touch with me.

Regarding Yellow Book, i almost feel the same...ill be in touch with verizon(as if they need more of my money lol)
  8. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have verizon. I have a business line that runs 35 dollars a month. We are included in the yellow pages for free under Landscape Contractors. When I only had a cell phone published under yellow pages, it cost 16.95 a month for name in bold number and website.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that it depends on where you are located at for ad price. Heck last year I only paid $51.00 a month for a 2X2 in the phone book yellow pages

The larger the city or circulation of the phone book depends on the price
  10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right about that, but $120 is outrageous as that is almost what I pay for a display ad in the Philadelphia suburbs. The neighboring Verizon directory costs me $40/month as populatioon density is not what it is in my phone area. Also, Verizon gives you a bigger discount outside your phone billing area.