Do you pay health insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mad_wrestler, Jul 29, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

My brothers are on their way back to college and I am transitioning for someone else to work for me. The question is, do you pay for health insurance for your guys? If so do you pay all or just a portion of it?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I offer to reimburse 1/2.

3. mad_wrestler

Pay half of the actual visit or half of the monthy insurance fees?

4. rodfather

1/2 of the monthly premium

5. mad_wrestler

Is this how you started? Paying half of the premium. What insurance would you recommend and how much money should be allocated for health insurance. I don't need it for myself just two employees.

6. rodfather

I just started this a few years ago. We have been in business now 11 full time years. I offer to reimburse 1/2 of major medical monthly premuim. All my guys are presently single, so I think the most I pay for anyone is around $225 or so a month.

7. mad_wrestler

what insurance have you found to be the most suitable for your guys and for your expense budget? Also, you plow in the winter months, right? What other outlets are there to subside until spring? Here is what I have found thus far; Leaf and debris cleanups, sell Christmas trees, put up Christmas lights...What else would you have in mind, no snow down here. Thanks.

8. rodfather

Major medical with a $30 co-pay office visit. Don't know the deductable off hand, but remember it being pretty low. Also, a prescription plan that pays 1/2.

Yes, we have 3 plow trucks with about 100 or so accounts. Snow plowing is extremely lucrative up here if you know how to price right. We get $200 an hour gross PER truck plowing and that is with travel time. And we do plenty of Fall and Spring Cleanups. No Christmas trees or lights. By then it's time to relax until the snow starts falling.

Hope that helps some...