Do you pay travel?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Aug 3, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So the guys work'n for you...........how do you come up with their hours?

Time on the job to time off the job........no travel?

Travel one way

Travel both ways

How do you do it?

2. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

When they get to the shop to when they leave the shop, minus lunch break.

How would you like to drive to work and then not start getting paid until the 30 minute drive to the jobsite? Or have to clock in and out between jobs and ride for free?

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Basically if they have to meet you somewhere to ride in a company truck, you need to pay them from the time they meet up with you. If you're working on a big job and they just drive on their own directly to the jobsite, then you could pay them starting when they arrive.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

DOL says that you must pay for "travel time" unless they are an independent contractor and provide their own transportation; unless they choose to drive to the jobsite.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

i'm just asking................i pay

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I don't, time starts when we get to the 1st job and ends when we finish the last.

7. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

I kinda feel that if you are working locally there is no reason to pay for drive time, people with office jobs still have to commute ya know, no different with us....if you are going over a few counties or somethin like that, by all means offer something IF IT COMES UP, or they say something, but you are in a business and trying to save money where you can, dont offer out free money if ya dont need to

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

just wait until the DOL gets all over your ass when you fire an employee and he sues you for lost wages.

People commute to work and park, they don't drive in between 18 different locations a day.

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Clock starts when they get to the shop, ends when they return to the shop.

Make them sign in and out for total days time. Also sign in and out on each job.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

just to clear up the driving...........this isn't aimed towards maintenace but guys do'n installs/constuction that are at one place all day

i know the company i used to work for...............$20mil, didn't pay labor returning to the shop unless you were the driver and that was only because of insurance reasons

the handbook for them did say that if they had to unload the truck or whatever once returning to the yard they would get paid (ofter a 45min drive)........well the company had a habit of screwing people (me included) so i had everybody pick up one piece of trash and then "unload" when we got back