1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Do you plow snow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

What snow... I'm in southern Indiana and it's 63 today....:waving:

2. weaver

Sorry, i checked again.. It's 65:laugh:

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Plowing 2 feet a push is pretty tough, espeically with a straight blade plow. It's not so bad on a double-wide driveway...what I do is kind of swing and arc across the driveway so I'm plowing it to the side with just a little bit of the blade into the snow at a time. The real pain is out at the apron where it can be a struggle just to push the corners back and get into the driveway. I plan to plow with the storm but from the sounds of it there will be a point when travel just isn't possible/practical, so it's bound to pile up. With a V plow I can usually just pull in V mode. We had a pretty nasty blizzard in 2005 and that was definitely a learning experience.

4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup we are 18-24" ......plowing every 6-8 inches. Going to be a challenge no doubt! Cheers and be safe!

Jason

5. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

Some of you might get 2ft but I'm thinking closer to 16.

Even with my ad, people are still calling. Im telling them $200-$250 and everyone said yes so far.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I never want to plow again professionally but I do wish I had one for my own driveway or perhaps a 6ft snow blower attachment for a compact tractor. Guy that does my driveway now is nowhere near the detail I use to get and he does so much damage. With about 20,000 sq ft of drive perhaps someday I can talk myself into justifying the purchase. What sucks now is the high wind predictions for this storm I had to move the trucks to a spot where trees cant land on them but now they're more in the way then normal.

7. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Glad we are not getting any of that Canadian concrete snow here! You guys be safe and don't break anything!

8. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

with a second truck in the mix now, I plan to plow once at around 12" tonight, then again around 12" or the end of storm then again around 12" if we end up with 3ft. probably not gonna get 3ft but that's my plan. should work pretty well. if all goes well with the second truck which has new tires, and runs good, but its a gas f250....its been a plow truck its whole life, oil pan is good, radiator is good, transmission is good, it starts it stops and it plows without an issue.

9. weaver

How much did you guys get or has it hit yet? We actually had a blizzard here in early January but not that much snow. Like 8in but was a blizzard cause of the 40 mph winds, but has actually been warm here except for that...

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Ill be out all day here plowing. When my son does the Resi acounts if they are calling for more than 16" he will go out and do it at the halfway point, or 8" of accumultion. I make him use a snowblower is its not easy to move 12" or more inches at once. Stay safe guys