Lawn Care Forum banner

Do you plow snow?

37K views 173 replies 52 participants last post by  copicut 
#1 ·
Just curious. Any LCO's out there not plow during the winter? If not, why? This question is for the full time, LCO's, that live in areas that have snow in the winter. Thx

#2 ·
I finally gave in this year and jumped into the snow removal game. I do a few of my own accounts and sub off another guy for most of the work. But I have many reasons for not wanting to do it in the past. Now I live in an area where snow is very sporadic, it could snow a lot or very minimal.

1. Expensive equipment sitting idle.
2. Watching tv/smart phone constantly checking weather
3. Not having freedom to travel during winter
4. Kids are pulled from daycare after lawn season, so hard to
find daycare on short notice if wife is working
5. Hard to find any help for this type of work
6. After long mowing season, having some down time is nice
7. Pay is good. But slow.
8. Hard to get a parttime job, when you have to do snow
removal on a whim.
9. I absolutely hate cold weather

This year was a test run. If I feel like it is worth my while I will roll it out full blown next year. I will offer it to all of my mowing clients next year. I know many will take me up on it. Did not want to go all in just in case I decide not to do it again next year. Being a sub for most of my work is nice, I am going to Florida in 2 weeks and dont have to worry about it snowing while I am gone. The guy has to find someone else while I am gone, not me. Right now I am 50/50 on next year. Life is too short to be miserable and I work enough during mowing season.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
Well this is my second season plowing snow and i can say this will probably be the last. I have a full route and tons of accounts both residential and commerical. There is no money in plowing when it doesnt snow! Weve plowed 4 times in the past 22 months here in Michigan. Basically you might make money one year and the next you might not make a dime. so if you average it out through five years your not making hardly any money. So would i recommend geting into plowing? Not if your going to rely on the income plowing MAY bring during the winter months

#4 ·
I plow snow during the winter months in ohio. Like the poster above me, it has barely snowed here the last 2 seasons. I am not a huge outfit but i have enough work to send out two trucks every time it snows. I have been able to save plenty of money throughout the growing season to support myself through winter months, but it is nice to bring in that extra 1k in a days work whenever it snows. There is some money to be made, but i dont look at snow removal as a reliable income obviously. The people making all the money are the ones who sub out all the work, and the ones who have their loaders and equipment sitting steady on the larger properties.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I do residential snow removal, but with snow-blowers and shovels, all the properties I do are under agreement(contract) so price is consistent through the season. Its my first year in business so I only have about 15 snow accounts, but I enjoy it, you gotta do something. Yeah finding a part time job is next to impossible, income is poor, but I just started out, if you get 40-60 houses, then you are set and can do them in a reasonable amount of time ervery snow fall.

#9 ·
In theory, yes. My promotional material says I do. I've had ONE "plowable" snow in the last 2 seasons. And that one I only did driveways that face north (shade, wouldn't melt) because we only got like an inch. I have 1 commercial lot and 2 dozen driveways that I do with an ATV and a single stage blower. I would like to set up a truck with a plow and get some more lots but I keep having trouble justifying to myself that it's a good idea to tie up money in equipment that will get used a MAX of 5 times per season, and more likely 0 to 2.

#11 ·
You cannot depend on plowing for income.

I have been plowing for 5 or 6 years. The first 4 years were great. In fact, when I started, I spent $18K on a truck and plow, and billed $14K the first season, solo. The 2nd year was just about as good, truck was now paid for, and some money in my pocket. I added a 2nd truck and plow year 3 and 4, and got average snow, but the investment paid off well, and kept my employee engaged over the winter. I also do my driveway, my sister's driveway, my mother-in-law's, and an investment house, saving good money for me and mine.

Last year it snowed twice. Ouch. This year so far, it has snowed 3 times. Not good.

The thing is...in Massachusetts you need to plow because some customers want a year round service. They only want to get one bill from one guy they trust. If you don't plow, you lose business to "one-stop-shops".

#13 ·
We have been plowing for many years and believe me, I HATE IT. Not the actual plowing itself but, the stress that comes with it. As far as the expense of equipment, that's minimal. I don't buy a truck just to plow. I buy a truck to work landscaping 1st, then, I look at it for snow. Extra equipment for snow are sanders, plows, and snow blowers.

Although I hate the snow business, the money is too good to give it up. What else are we going to do in the winter?

#14 ·
We have been plowing for many years and believe me, I HATE IT. Not the actual plowing itself but, the stress that comes with it. As far as the expense of equipment, that's minimal. I don't buy a truck just to plow. I buy a truck to work landscaping 1st, then, I look at it for snow. Extra equipment for snow are sanders, plows, and snow blowers.

Although I hate the snow business, the money is too good to give it up. What else are we going to do in the winter?
Exactly my thoughts!

#19 ·
I do mostly residential snow. However I was referred to 1 business that wanted their small property done.

Snow is not consist ant enough to count on making money every year. Though there are good years. There is no guaranteed that there will be enough work to invest in the equipment if you have to have the work to pay off the loans.

Snow is worth the effort because it keeps other LCO's off of your customers property which helps to keep you from losing customers.

Snow removal has gotten me new landscape customers.

When it does snow the money is good. So idle time is turned into money making time during the off season.

#24 ·
Snow money is just extra money to me. I have a truck and a tractor. Plow came with the truck and bought a salter and pusher for the tractor. We just got our first plowable snow this year. Ill plow for the for future ahead but i always budget my summer money incase we dont have any snow.

#25 ·
I don't think I ever want to do it again. Iv made very little money from it and the aggravation factor was huge. Setting an alarm to get up in 2 or 3 hours because it starts snowing at your bed time was not to enjoyable. Waking up just 3 hours later to find in 3 hours we went from half an inch to 18 will stay with me always. Waking up a 7 am once to angry calls because the weathermen at 11 pm predicted a "dusting" and were off by 9 inches is still etched in my mind 10 years latter. Watching grown men break down in the deep storms and quit leaving you with no one and guaranteeing you a 24 hour shift is not that much fun. But what bugged me more than anything was time management when I mow I plan on 10-11 hour shifts and expect to make money over that time. But when you do snow for residential how long can you expect them to wait 4-6 hours tops. There are plenty that all want to be out for 7 am and they are never close and its never doable. And so your stuck trying to make some money with few hours to do it in.

I considered plowing streets but was saddened to find out that 4500s are not considered here and they want all the street trucks to be 26000 gvw plus. And then you gota take into effect if you get the contract its on an on call basis only so they call you and your suppose to just be sitting by the phone with your trucks waiting.

Now the last time I did this was 2010 and I was using a clients plow truck that he provided. He's rich and owns a dealership to go with all his other businesses so I had dealer plates all winter and did just his dozen accounts. I babied that truck and treated it as if it was my own and he still got the pleasure of putting in a new transmission for the guy they sold it to that spring. And that reminds me that I pay enough in truck repairs as is and plowing multiplies that and reduces the overall life of the truck.

And it wouldn't do much of anything to stop my guys collecting on me in the winter. They would apply and collect as normal and when they did have a storm it would be deducted from their freebie welfare check and that actually upsets them like some how they earned a 3 month paid vacation for working 40 weeks. I suppose I could pay them cash but why should I pay income tax on money they get.

#26 ·
I make an absolute killing doing snow...when it actually snows. Why on earth anyone wouldn't plow snow is beyond me. It's easy, mindless work. Too cold? Don't do sidewalks. I never even get out of the truck. We bill out 5-6k per event.

My plow truck was less than 6k with plow! EASY money. Super easy money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.