Do you plow snow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I'm from Iowa and it seems like everyone here has V blade.

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a 5 yard Cat loader coming tomorrow will be nice to be free it will be day 5 tomorrow.

3. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Wow! I feel for you guys up in ct. Kelly I'm sure your glad you don't plow anymore. 40inches of snow is impossible to plow. You have to have a big blower or a loader. I'm looking forward to talking to the ct guys on plowsite when there all done with there routes. I'm sure guys are still trying to get there places open.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Well that was fun, lol. I finished up all of my regular accounts by midnite yesterday. I ran chains all day Saturday and went around just opening places up. Bad roads and poor fuel availability cost me a lot of time...takes a long time to get between accounts at 10 to 15 mph. I had planned to go through the list wifey has but I didn't get very far on that because I had to do slush runs and address a couple of problems on my regulars due to the rain. I enjoyed watching all the rookies stuffing their trucks into snow banks...gotta be a bit methodical about getting into a property rather than just ramming your truck in there...ya know, lol.

5. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to see you're ok... did you make good$ off that snow or what?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We got 31" and another 3-4" yesterday along with rain. We told the guys shoveling to wait until it was over. I'm glad we did we had drifts over 5' in places :dizzy: We're going back again tonight to move more snow. It was kind of comical after the storm watching guys trying to plow driveways. They would get a running start and slam into the apron packing the snow even more :laugh:

7. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea what we got here....a little less than you. Maybe 26" or so....but ya, still measured drifts 5 ft high in many places. Biggest challenge for plowing that I have ever faced. Visibility was so bad that first night that I backed the corner into a tree and took out the tail light but that was all. Got "stuck" one time, but just shoveled out some snow from being high centered and was all set. I was very thankful - tons of work and long hours but it could have been a lot worse. Most guys didn't go out that first night - it was probably stupid to take it on, but it worked out all right. Now I'm definitely ready for Florida next week...lol

Jason

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

It was all about geometry and angles, little bites at a time. Storms like this I can't wait to get a V-plow. =D

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I apparently backed the corner of my truck into a pole too from the looks of it but I have no idea when or where. I just know the bumper corner is pushed in and that the tailgate pops out of it's socket now when you drop it. Spent about $1000 to get ready for it, did about $500 damage to the truck not including the scratches from all the limbs draped over driveways. I've been hitting one-time accounts, doing slush patrol on my regulars, dealing with drainage issues and pushing back piles for 2 days now. The hardpack on the roads is mostly gone but now it's in all of my aprons. At least it's warm.

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Darryl, that's exactly the reason I can't understand how guys can stomach using brand new trucks for plowing - the amount of branches that scratch and small things you can't see covered in snow, dings the truck often. I just deal with it and fix it if need be, but if I had a really nice new truck I'd get PO'd. lol