Do you plow snow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

well the way I look at is, one, its a work truck and, two, its not gonna stay new looking forever.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My truck was 6 years old before I had the heart to put a plow on it and I really didn't have much choice. My old 85 K20 just needed too much work. By then it already had some bumps and bruises. Gotta watch the rocker panel and lower door areas on these never trucks. A crusty snow bank will push them right in. I'd like to replace my rear bumper with a heavy duty one anyway.

3. In2une

In2une LawnSite Member

This is my first year snowplowing for myself running my own business. My main problem is Customers Don't Pay!!
    I have plowed for over 10 years for another company and never would have thought it would have been such a hassle!
    I do all residential and have contracts that say right on them please pay within 7 days and if a new customer without a contract I expect to paid the same day. 90% of customers give the run around.. Crazy!
    I do a good job and I have the experience snowplowing so thats not the issue.
    Please Help What do I do.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I threw a plow on my last truck 6 months after I bought it. it is after all one of the reasons I got it.

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

@ In2une..... ONLY thing you can do is tell them to pay or find someone else and you will be "forced to take further action" to collect on their bill. You know your customers better than anyone else and a little tact goes a long ways, but you have to be firm.

Jason

6. Darryl G

So how did things work out for you with the blizzard? How long did it take to get to your whole list?

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm curious as well.

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

All my resi contracts are on every 6-8 inches of snowfall. It takes me about 6 hrs to get through the route once, not counting the snowblowing contracts. Obviously with this last storm, it was coming down so fast and drifting that I just kept making the rounds - everyone got at least 2 charges, and many got 3. The first night of the storm I had to drive 10 mph between accounts and often had to plow my way between them. We have rural roads and at times, my plow was pushing snow on the street while in the all up position. Crazy. Mid-storm I was questioning my sanity but glad I did the work. The snowblowing really sucked the next day - 5 ft drifts to power through with a blower. lol

Jason

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

The way I finally got dug out. Yes I know it no longer looks like 38 inches in some of this but it was day 5 and we had a nice 8 hour rain storm on day 3.

2013-02-12_13-21-08_433.jpg

2013-02-12_13-21-12_297.jpg

2013-02-12_13-21-18_96.jpg

2013-02-09_15-26-10_215.jpg

2013-02-12_13-21-33_94.jpg

10. Darryl G

Nice little plow. I ended up plowing all day even though we only got a little bit over night. A lot of my accounts needed some detail work done, piles pushed back and things widened...some breathing room basically. I'm not sure how much of it I can charge for but I'm not too worried about that.