1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you plow snow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You cannot depend on plowing for income.

I have been plowing for 5 or 6 years. The first 4 years were great. In fact, when I started, I spent $18K on a truck and plow, and billed $14K the first season, solo. The 2nd year was just about as good, truck was now paid for, and some money in my pocket. I added a 2nd truck and plow year 3 and 4, and got average snow, but the investment paid off well, and kept my employee engaged over the winter. I also do my driveway, my sister's driveway, my mother-in-law's, and an investment house, saving good money for me and mine.

Last year it snowed twice. Ouch. This year so far, it has snowed 3 times. Not good.

The thing is...in Massachusetts you need to plow because some customers want a year round service. They only want to get one bill from one guy they trust. If you don't plow, you lose business to "one-stop-shops".
  2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We plow, keeps our guys busy during the off months. The last 2 years have been great for us, all contract lots payup
  3. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

We have been plowing for many years and believe me, I HATE IT. Not the actual plowing itself but, the stress that comes with it. As far as the expense of equipment, that's minimal. I don't buy a truck just to plow. I buy a truck to work landscaping 1st, then, I look at it for snow. Extra equipment for snow are sanders, plows, and snow blowers.

Although I hate the snow business, the money is too good to give it up. What else are we going to do in the winter?
  4. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly my thoughts!
  5. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

I plow mostly residential. use my 2500 dodge diesel with 8ft fisher, snow blowers, shovels, and for these nice light fluffy storms i use the redmax 8500 backpack blower (it works great for sidewalks in this fluff)!!!!!! :gunsfirin
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

For the last two seasons, what snow?
    Snow removal isn't even in the front of my mind anymore as it never snows to the trigger point.
  7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

A seasonal contract dream.:weightlifter:
  8. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

We picked up more snow accounts this winter, but with the lack of snow, the equipment sits around. Thank goodness for contracts!!!
  9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I do mostly residential snow. However I was referred to 1 business that wanted their small property done.

Snow is not consist ant enough to count on making money every year. Though there are good years. There is no guaranteed that there will be enough work to invest in the equipment if you have to have the work to pay off the loans.

Snow is worth the effort because it keeps other LCO's off of your customers property which helps to keep you from losing customers.

Snow removal has gotten me new landscape customers.

When it does snow the money is good. So idle time is turned into money making time during the off season.
  10. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

I do not. It snows so little around here and so sporadically the investment in equipment would take a long time to recoup. I also enjoy having the downtime to do other things.