do you price leaf cleanup now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 23, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

for those of you that are taking on new clients, they are asking how much for fert program, how much for mowing, how much for spring cleanup, HOW MUCH FOR FALL CLEANUP? and this is what scares me. i been burnt too many times pricing a fall cleanup at this time of year. on our full service packages, i've been reluctantly doing it, on people asking for "individual " services, i tell them fall cleanup will be priced accordingly. how do you do it? just try to guess the best u can how much of a mess there will be? leaves are so decieving

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stress the word ESTIMATE to them. It may burn you the first time but then adjust some for next time. But i will not give a price if there ARE NO leafs on the trees (as is the case here right now)
    Good luck

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I won't quote a leaf clean-up in the spring. I MIGHT give them a ballpark. Most people understand that it is almost impossible to give an estimate for leaves this time of year. Even on the properties that we service, a big wind storm can change things as far as how many leaves will be there.

4. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I look at the number and type of trees in the customers yard AND neighbors yards and take into consideration the prevailing wind and I can guess pretty close what to charge, but this has taken me years to develop an eye for this. In most situations for me, I don't need to do this very often but once in a while I do.

5. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

This usually comes into play for Commercial accounts where they want a figure for the whole year.

6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

NO

That's just like giving a estimate over the phone no way I would wait until,remember we can't controll the way the wind blow they might get most of their neighbors leaves also.

Wait.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

But plenty here put residentials on yearly/seasonal contracts too. So how do you give them a total for the year without giving them a price on the fall clean up too?
    Just tell them that it has to be billed seperately I guess? And include everything but that in the contract/agreement?

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I just give my best estimate. Leaf cleanups are tricky. You could have a yard full of trees and the leaves all blow away in the wind, end up not spending much time on the job. Or the reverse and spend more than you charged. Just take your best shot.

9. rogerslawn

rogerslawn LawnSite Member

We tell them NORMALLY it will be 1 1/2 -3 times there mowing rate

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

that wont work roger. we have lawns that are $30 a cut, but $350 for leaf cleanup