Do you pull weeds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ProMaintenance, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ProMaintenance

ProMaintenance LawnSite Member

I’m just curious if you guys pull weeds, I got two spring clean up jobs this week that mostly involved pulling weeds and both customers said they were told by multiple LCOs that they didn’t do weeding. In addition have done a few clean ups on properties that are otherwise maintained by a different LCO. Maybe I’m just naive and there really is a lot of mow blow and go companies out there. Don’t get me wrong pulling weeds sucks but I feel I charge fairly high for the service and it is a good way to make quick money. So I guess I was wondering what your view on the matter is.

2. NPMinc

NPMinc LawnSite Member

Wow! How the hell do you do a "cleanup" without pulling weeds? They are leaving some serious money on the table! Yes weeding sucks, but charge accordingly and it is quite worth it! All factors and overhead considered, Mowing is probably the least profitable per man hour activity there is in this field so I don't know how thats all they can do.

3. How do you call yourself an lco and not do weed control?? Those will be the same guys that complain they get lowballed when in all reality they aren't giving the customer what they want...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The correct pre and post emergent herbicides. That is one of my selling points. I maintain areas planted to shrubs, flowers and groundcover without pulling weeds on a regular basis. Maybe once for weeds too large to spray, but never instead of a comprehensive weed control program.

5. NPMinc

NPMinc LawnSite Member

Understand that but I was more referring to new customers. Also there are plenty who wont pay for spray etc.

6. greendoctor

It is the bad cases of widespread weeds that begs for a combination program of pre and post. As for the ones who will not pay and expect the weeds to be pulled out over and over again throughout the growing season....................I do not want their money or their business.

7. Green is there a post for broadleafs that can be applied over the top??
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ProMaintenance

I look at as if someone wants me to pull weeds over and over again i have no issues billing them over and over again to pull the weeds. There are plenty of days here in Oregon when the rain makes mowing not an option. Shoot if a customer wants a pile of rocks moved from one end of their property to the other every other week I will do it. I guess what im saying is I don't mind the work and if the customer can pay me what i want then everyone wins.

9. greendoctor

Wick applications of RoundUp. Basagran, Certainty, Image, or Lontrel in tolerant plantings and do not forget what Ronstar WP or Flo will do to many broadleaves. I have found that many target weeds are still sensitive to sprayed Ronstar even if enough irrigation has been applied to wash off material from desirable plants.

RoundUp applied to the green basal portion of tall broadleaves as a 5% solution avoiding contact with shrubs is also effective.

10. ProMaintenance

I couldn't agree more, the whole reason I mow lawns is access to more customers for the spring/ fall clean ups, pruning and tree work. I always look at the trees when i make a mowing bid, the customer is happy and feels like they got a good deal on the mowing and im happy knowing that come fall im going to more than make up the difference