do you put the weed blocker under mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Bret's Lawn Care, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Bret's Lawn Care

Bret's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i was wondering if you put the weed blocker under mulch? had a customer call about a job we did 2 weeks a go and said weeds were growing through. i didn't put it down

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Only under stone mulch. Weed seeds are in bark mulch and will sprout and grow with or with out underlayment.

Gene

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do only if the customer requests it. I personally don't believe in it.

4. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

i do in everything i do almost... if you dont i find the root actually have soemthing to grow their roots but with the weed blocker the roots cant get big and very easy to remove the weeds.. the full root

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

only under rock

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No, we never use weed block under mulch.

7. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I try not to use it. It is too expensive and labor intensive to put down. I would just rather use some pre-emrg. like preen. I wil do it though if customers request and i guess it wouldn't be to bad to put down on a new install

8. Bret's Lawn Care

Bret's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

thanks for all the info

9. arosewag

arosewag LawnSite Member

I never put weed mat under mulch. You will always end up with weeds in mulch beds.....blown from wind, dropped by birds, etc. I just use a good prem. Snapshot is pretty good.

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Only under rock.
    It is a real PITA under mulch. You have trouble killing the weeds because the root system is all over under the fabric.

I have made some good money removing the fabric weed blocker and installing new mulch and putting them on a maintenance program for weed control this season..