Do you re-use your leaf box, or just build a new one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Oct 27, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you do? Store it every year, or build a new one, or just keep it on the truck?
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We reuse ours. Everything is framed out of wood, and just bolts onto our truck. Take12 bolts off and she comes off in two sections and goes in the shop. :cool:
  3. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

You might as well spend some time and make a good one (ez on and off). A well made box that is reused every year will mean less problems down the road.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Take your time and do it right the first time...not just with the leaf box, but generally everything. Mine is constructed onto my truck and not easily removed, but the truck is dedicated to this and this only. Built it out of 2 x 6's.

5. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I used to make a new one every year, but now things have changed. This year I had a fabrication company weld up a steel leaf box frame that slides into the back of my dump truck. This should last for years with out having to rebuild it.

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I reuse mine every year. I just have 3 sheets of plywood that I just bolt them onto the existing racks that I leave on all summer. Then the last sheet for the back door.
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

This season is 50% old and 50% new. I try to reuse as it saves money. Makes better business sense than throwing away the materials.
  8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I reuse mine to, Its all framed in sections around my trailer with U-Bolts, like paponte said a few screws come off and its goes in storage till spring.
  9. SLC1234

SLC1234 LawnSite Member

If you plan on being in business for a while then, have a metal fabrication/weld shop build one for you. For years we made ours out of wood and every fall would end up having to replace, rebuild and redeisign it because of rot or different truck. A couple years ago we finally bit the bullet and spent the money on an all metal self contained unit. The best thing we ever did, now we put it on in the spring for spring cleanups, (which we never did in the past because it was such a hassel) and if we ever get a large chipping job we can have the box on in less than 15mins. The money that you will spend over the years on wood, will more than equal what you will spend on a well made metal one. Just my two cents
  10. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

what kind of prices are you looking at by buying a metal one? also how universal are they? what if i am switching trucks?