1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do you really have to run full throttle?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Jul 9, 2008.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed on my new viking that with the lack of rain and not much growth if i back it off a little from full it still mows just as good with less noise and probably better fuel economy, and maybe a little less wear and tear. But mainly because it kicks up less dust and is quieter. Anybody else do this? Does it cause any harm to the machine? On a side note so far I really like my viking, the ecs is the cats meow, and it is balanced so well. Much better than my old belt drive. So anybody else mow just off full throttle?

later!! chris
  2. badluck

badluck LawnSite Member

i do not know about hurting mower, but have done it a few times just for the reasons that you just mentioned.
  3. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I've always been told to run at full throttle

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i usually run my mower at full or almost full throttle
  5. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

if its a zero turn and you dont run at full throttle the pumps arent cooled as efficiently as they should be...or so im told... i believe their cooling fan speed is usually determined by throttle. edit! *hydrostatic pumps
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running at less than full throttle for years, sometimes as low as 3100 RPM. If I get on a lawn that needs full throttle then I do it. Usually I'm around 3500 RPM. It burns a whole lot less gas at 3500 RPM then it does at 3700 RPM.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

as usual dick m is right on the $.
  8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed that not mowing at full throttle cuts the weed stems better. you know the ones that stick up 6 inches above the grass.
  9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I say FULL THROTTLE! It's better for the hydros if you do so. Gear driven mowers, I couldn't tell you.
  10. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

I say a bit over where she will start to boog down.

if the grass is thin why waste the full fuel mode when you do not have to.