Do you really wanna litigate for $150?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bastalker, Jan 3, 2004.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I have in the past, had a few instances where a customer has racked up a few cuts, and after sending bills numerous times, feel they need the money more than I do.

I have done this 3 times now. One customer owes me $150 for a overseed job I did for them. She is in Cal. now, and the speculations for them selling the house in Ct. was that it get seeded before closing. It has been a couple a months now. I say oh well.

I am owed $80 an $120 from a couple of customers that I will also never see.

Guess I'm to easy, but I just write it off as a loss an never talk to em again...

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I've been pretty fortunate, only 2 losers haven't paid me in the past 3 years that I have been in business. One is an older couple who got sick, wrote that one off. The second is an a-hole who had me do a clean-up and spread some mulch. He owes me $300, paid for the clean-up but nit a dime for the mulch (money out of my pocket). I sent him one last invoice today if I see no money I will be taking him to court just for the principle of it.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I need my yard overseeded since your working for free. lol
    he!! yes i'll turn you over to credit agency I'll bad mouth you to your own mother i'll take you to small claims. The way I look at it is I got out of school long time ago and I don't need to chalk it up as a lesson learned. You owe me $$ for a service I performed and if you refuse to pay for that service then I have the right to make your life miserable.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

thank you mac! these guys say it's "bad for business" to aggresively seek your money. i say it's twice as bad to let it slide. i'd rather be thought of as a bully and roughneck, than a pushover

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a change of heart, you could always just go down & file a lien against their house & let it sit there until they get ready to sell or refinance. Then they've to got to pay you. Cheap way to go about it.

6. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

How do you go about reporting it so it hits there credit report or putting a lien on thier house.

7. bastalker

Tell ya what dirt if ya give me $150 for stickin 50 lbs a seed in a broadcast spreader an spendin 20 mins pushin it around about a 1/4 of an a acre, I'll be right there..... I didn't get into the details cause I didn't think it was important. But since ya brought it up.......;)

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What $150 I thought they did'nt pay? payup so I can match that amount.

Mac:D

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've never had a customer not pay me! Oh sure, I had to take them to court. But its the principal. I did the work, now I deserve the money. Thats what winter time is for. Collecting on dead-beat accounts!

10. bastalker

k, ya got me........:drinkup: