do you refuse work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 23, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how many of you are at the point where you kindly say, "i'm sorry, our schedule is full?" and is it so full, that you can't even take on a neighbor of an exsisting customer?

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I am far from this point, but I dont think I could ever picture myself saying that. I mean, in terms of just lawn service. I refuse bigger jobs occasionally, but IMO, as long as the prospective customer is on the route, there is always time for one more lawn.

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

customers. i was cutting a 32" wb and it was taking way to long.

4. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

If there is a will there is a way. Money is money and in this business you have to take it when you can get it.

5. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

your rite about this...... if some1 shall get overboard w/customers then thats the time to add on more crews & hire more employees.... :waving:

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting point bob.

I know my company is overbooked for the year in maintenance, but said "yes" to another nice account this morning (3 flat acres with at most 30 seconds of trimming). I got a high price cause they are being company relocated and want the place to show well.

Show I have taken it? Maybe not. But I always remember the words of my father who owned a large management and marketing consulting corporation. I will never forget him telling me once early in my business career, "son, problems of volume can always be solved...it's when you have no volume, you've got a problem."

So to answer your question, we'll find a way to get it done...we always do.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you refuse work????

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

very good analogy rod. mo green, I AM ASKING THE QUESTION HERE, don't answer a question with a question.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I do refuse work. We are at about our limit for getting our mowing route done in 40 hour week. I dropped about 4 residentials this spring because they were crappy lawns, and I mean dog poop on the lawns.And we picked up a couple more new ones to replace those that are nice accounts( no dog crap). And we never do one time jobs, mowing or cleanups or weed control,Strickly steady customers.

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry....I just thought I would try your approach. Does that bother you?