Do you remove the line guard from your trimmer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Country, May 13, 2008.

Guard on or off

1. ON

95 vote(s)
  2. Off

66 vote(s)
  1. Country

Country LawnSite Member

I see a lot of the guys in my area don't have them on.
  2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep mine on, it's safer.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been removing them since the guard fell off of a straight shaft Homelite I had back in 1996.
  4. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I always remove mine....I'm sure one day it will bite me....
  5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

I take them off, but it is obviously safer to keep them on.
  6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I was planning on taking the guard off of my Stihl FS 90 R, but I found that Stihl uses 4 screws to hold the guard on. I just moved it back 1 set of holes and I get enough line that I'm not tapping the head all of the time. I still get grass all over me, but it's better than losing an eye. No offense to those who prefer it totally off, as I did that with my last trimmer.
  7. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

we actually leave the guard on, but cut off the part that cuts the trimmer line off..... i cant really explain it, more like having a flat plate on instead of it coming out and then 90 degree angle down.

not the safest i know, but alot more productive while still having some amount of safety.

so where is my option for BOTH
  8. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We always leave ours on. Check with your workmens comp or commercial insurance provider. If you remove factory safety shields or other equipment you may not be covered in case of a claim.
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I do the same as thelawnboss. I just cut off the lower part of the guard so I can let out more line. I say leave your guards on, I know I get way less debris thrown at me than without one, and that means less chance of a nail or something going through my leg.
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We have too much trimming to leave them on, as long as the operatior knows what they are dong there is no more of a safety issue than having the guard on. I used to be a skeptic until I took one off for a day, that night I took them off of every trimmer I owned.