Do you remove the plastic discharge chute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by weeze, Oct 12, 2011.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

...on your mower or not?...explain why...recently i noticed the little washer thing that secures the bolt going through the plastic discharge chute had come off so i pulled the bolt out and removed the cover....i think i like the mower better without it on there...i had to drill a hole in the plastic chute and use a tiny bungee cord to hold it up when loading and unloading on my trailer since it wouldn't fit with it down...i also had to bungee it up when going through tight gates and such....what do you guys do? discuss :)
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have always taken them off all my mowers in the past, but these newer ZTR's have such high blade speeds that anything that you hit (like a golf ball or some such) is coming out of the gate at an extremely high velocity. I don't want to ever have to explain to someone why their window got shattered, or worse yet, seriously injure or even kill someone. The chute may not totally prevent it, but if it's down, at least I'm trying to prevent an accident. On top of that, if someone is injured by an object that is thrown from your machine, you can bet that in this letigious day and age, you'll be in court, and having the protective chute missing on your machine is not going to make you look very good, or help your case. YMMV
  3. A+Grounds

A+Grounds LawnSite Member

if you cut in public areas id leave it on but for residential just keep an eye out for what is in front about to get cut and where the chute is pointed
  4. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

If I can flip it up out of the way I leave it attached so if I feel I need it I can flip it down for safety. Otherwise they come off.
  5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

6. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I always keep all safety guards on my equipment. I don't need any excuses from my insurance company if someone gets hurt or property is damaged.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

off, but I also have a mulching kit and plate.
  8. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a OCDC like PLS mentioned. I made mine and its the best thing ever.
  9. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

Spark arrestor screens....discharge chutes....trimmer guards...

all off as soon as i get the equipment home.
  10. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Off, you cant cut thick grass or wet grass with them on with out having a mess. But I have home made chute blockers on.