Do you remove the sheilds from your trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Technologies, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Kind of wondering if you do or not? We do , seems better to get the string out.

2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have my shield on but a couple people told me I would be able to edge better, and boy were they right. I can see what I'm cutting 100 times better. Just make sure you have on pants and safety glasses. ;)

Hank

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes plus it makes it lighter and easyer to handle.

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Musktufking must have edged some walks where the poodles are poopin'. I think the guard is there for a reason, and it should not be removed. But... it is hard to see the cutting edge, so what I do is shave off half of the guard opposite the cutting blade. It lets me see what I am cutting while keeping my clothes cleaner.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

trimmer without the guard becomes a much more efficient tool.
    havnt used one in 25 yrs or more. however if u have employees
    they probably better be using guards ,to prevent liability on your part .

6. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Personally it does work better w/ out the guard but a good point was made it is there for a reason, i have had a lot of **** thrown in my face and it is not pleasent, what i do personal;ly is not have gaurd on my equip. and a guard on the ones my employees use, for a few reasons, one they like the gaurd better , two my insurance requires it for my employees, three alot more stuff flies in different directions w/ out the gaurd, have had to replace a few windshield and side windows
    AK Lawn

7. Lawn Watcher

Lawn Watcher LawnSite Member

I'm not sure where they are from but I have seen guys around here with clear plastic guards on them that allow you to see thru them. I imagine as they get worn it is hard to see thru them due to the scruffs and grass stains.:rolleyes:

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

when i worked with 65Hoss he had his off. he bought a new one and we left the guard on and noticed less stuff in our faces. not sure about non-stilh's, but the guard serves as an excellent level to the ground surface. also i have no problem seeing around the guard when cutting an edge, but when my dealer finally gets my FC85 in, that'll be of no concern anyway.

9. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

hate to say it, but YES we also take off all string trimmer gaurds. In fact, I put a couple new ones in the "box on the shelf" the other day. If anybody needs any replacement gaurds for REDMAX trimmers, I have about 10 or 12 of them. LOL

10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

They come off as soon as I buy a new trimmer. I don't feel that they really "do their job" that well in the first place, and we all know that the trimmer will operate better with the gaurds off.