Do you report unlicensed applicators?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Moonlight, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight LawnSite Member

Just wondering if you guys report unlicensed applicators. It seems about half of the people I see spraying yards are not licensed. Don't have license numbers on the truck or have no vehicle signage. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING UNLICENSED APPLICATORS, and I started carrying a digital camera and taking pictures of your illegal actions and I will send it to the state. I heard the state is cracking down on backpack sprayers also. 500.00 fine for the non licensed applicator and 500.00 fine for the customer.

2. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

We always carry a camera in the truck and if we spot someone spraying without numbers they get their picture sent to TDA.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

So does your state require a license number and on the vehicle? Not sure how you would know if they are licensed or not unless you asked them to show their license.

4. tjgray

In Texas you have to have your numbers posted on your truck by law :)

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

If I come acrossed any I probably will....

6. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

In Texas the guys under TDA do not have to post their numbers. The guys under SPCB do. I have a dual license, but the SPCB is inactive. I think I will fire that one back up and do exterior pest control/fleas. If you are doing exterior (or advertising it) under TDA, you MAY be illegal. I'll be checking this week. The SPCB test is quite a bit more extensive.

You will see most lawn care under TDA as my 13 year old could pass the test on 2 tries. The local scrub around here with his sharpie signs took it 3 times I hear. He has a case pending, no insurance and is STILL advertising. That shows you how worried he is about our regulators.

Tara, the investigator here told me to get their license plate number. That way they can run a check on the owner and see if he pops up as licensed.

7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't turn them in

8. tjgray

Good Day Green :)

We are under TDA and I could have sworn that having your numbers posted was indeed a requirement. I could look and be sure but we have our numbers posted so we are good.

I am almost certain you are correct on the exterior *do you mean interior* applications as we do some sub-contract work for an interior pesticide company. He does all indoors and refers the outdoors to us and vice versa :)

And Lawnandplow I suspect you wouldn't turn them in because you are not licensed. If you have indeed gone through all the proper requirements to apply chemicals legally I suspect you would feel a little differently :)

I just did the financials for the month of March and do you know we are paying over $2000 a year just for insurance and we have the minimum :cry:

9. greg6775

greg6775 LawnSite Member
    from ky

dip **** some states dont make you have nember on your truck might want to check in to that first roflllll

10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

In north Carolina we don't have to post the numbers on the vehicle. So I don't know how you could tell without stopping and asking. I wouldn't report them though. I just figure it'll catch up with them sometime.