Do you respect equipment if you didn't purchase it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dirty Water, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

So I ended up at a tire shop for two hours today waiting for my ditchwitch to be serviced. While I was killing time I watched the LCO's outfront cutting the places grass.

They work for the largest lawn care company in my area, which is a company that is notorious for lowballing to get commercial accounts, and does a really horrible job.

Anyways, these guys pull a Toro Zmaster and two string trimmers out of a enclosed trailer. The Z master sounds like its got issues with a very loud belt/hydro whine.

One of the guys picks up a trimmer, and then realizes it needs to be restrung. I watched him drop the trimmer from waist height onto the asphalt and walk back in the the trailer.

The other guy had gotten the Z going, and drove fullspeed into a curb, making the mower pop up and crash onto the grass...I don't know mowers, but it didn't seem good for it, and I would have used a few boards.

I look back over, and Trimmer guy comes back out with some string. He picks up the head of the trimmer and starts to string it. A few minutes later he looks frusterated. He drops the head of the trimmer onto the asphalt (BANG), and walks back into the trailer.

He comes out with another trimmer, and kicks the trimmer on the ground as he walks to go trim.

I don't know about you guys, but if I was the company owner, I would have fired both of them on the spot.
  2. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

yep hear ya there and a shame as one guy started it all and got bigger just lossers he employess and costs. one standards gone when employees. Feel sorry for chap who got good.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, I need to brush up on my australian.

Just kidding, No harm no foul :)
  4. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

wow ya need brushing up haaaa, no prob but says for its self, as once you let ones loose on ones gear ya farked but no choice.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

JonHolland, your story reaffirms my belief that I am quite happy working alone.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Soooooooooooo much less stressful this way. In a previous post I said I bought a new work truck for $50k. I used to have crews going out and there's no way in H3ll I'd let'em have that.
  7. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

I do, to the point that if I damage the equipment or if it breaks under my use I generally purchase replacement parts, or have it fixed.

This is not normal, but should be.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Do I? Yes-- Do my $15.00 per hour help? No way. :angry:

Well over $1000.00 a week in stupid stuff. Bent decks broken spindles. Had so many trimmers just fall off trailers it is not funny. Whats worse is when they don't care about the customers property. I have replaced a bunch of hoses and even some kids toys. Had one guy cut the lower siding off a house. Over 15 foot of a cut, He just keep going and going. When asked why, he just said Whaat?

Missing gas caps, velke hitch pins removed and just vanished, trailer lights knocked off. trailer fenders bent, Z driven into the back of the W/B hydro's and braking off the tracking adj. knobs. (4 times so far), trailer light plugs left off and driven on long enough to wear out, enclosed trailer ramp door closed with a hold down strap hook in the hinge and broke the door off, small hand tools missing, ramp gate on open trailer was down and another worker drove his car across it and bent the gate. Water jugs fall off trailer, hedge trimmers cutting chain link fence (yes the trimmer losses), 21" mower with carb ripped off by the chain link fence because he though he could cut a little under and not have to string trim, breaking a 44" mower early in the day and just using a 21" the rest of the day-pulling into the shop at 8:30 at night happy about overtime. I could go on but will not bore you any more. Not sure what is worse, the broken stuff or the constant rehire and training. My payroll people hate me.
    But wait I have great news-- I have become such good friends with the local tavern owner I may get that account in spring!
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I can feel the pain....Most people dont understand the sentiment that the equipment they use helps pay their salary....Now when it comes to rental cars...onthe other hand.....:)
  10. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking forward to having employees.