do you retain most of your customers in the winter time or does a lot drop you?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by georgialawn88, Jun 11, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes i know its dead middle of summer but I havent been doing this long and just wondering what your retention rate through winter is? I know a lot of people dont understand the dreadful Poa-annua and pres for winter weeds. Do you have a lot of people cancel on you when the grass goes dormant and its weed free? i guess im asking mostly for the lower half of the country. I know you guys up north are covered in snow the entire winter. Im just trying to figure out what to expect. I would hate to advertise and build up these customers i have and lose 10% when the grass goes dormant and they just dont get it.

Thanks a ton
    Thomas

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in northern va so we get snow...sometimes. over the pasr year I retained all but one of my customers. Granted I'm only at 26 customers

3. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I think that in most areas you will find the same thing: make sure customers understand that you expect to work for them year-round, treat them very well, and you will keep a very high percentage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

90%+ retain. Most of the 10% drop because they are moving or they died.

5. GreenThumb11

GreenThumb11 LawnSite Member

I would say 90%-95% as well. But out of the 5%-10% most all call you back in the spring. When you sell the account stress the importance of fall and winter applications!