1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you return every call?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Jun 3, 2008.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Do you return every call? Why or why not? I just get irritated with the stupid calls: "Uhhhh, yeah, I was wondering if you could cut my lawn like, today or tomorrow. I've been out of town for like, 3 weeks, so it might be a little high, but like I said it needs cut by tomorrow." I just hit delete. Would you take the time to return a call like this? Why or why not? I get them all the time and I just don't bother with them.
  2. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

i always return those calls and tell them i only mow for regular customers and try to give them a sales picth ive gotten a few accounts that way!!! but i have to force my self to call those people i hate it toooo
  3. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

i do not return calls that i know i cant possibly fit into my schedule or calls that sound like they are going to be a PITA. every season i drop the previous seasons number one PITA. I only return calls from existing customers or referrals from existing customers. since i removed the signs from my truck and trailer after my schedule filled all calls are referrals. i am a solo oper. no more time unless you are next door to someone i already cut for.
  4. 1st Choice

1st Choice LawnSite Member

Always return phone calls but will charge them twice as much as normal and tell them that... not a normal customer and with the grass twice as high will take more time and is harder on the equipment.. and they normally understand and say OK....
  5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone leaves a voice mail with the words "free estimate" in it, they have a zero chance of me returning their call. I have learned that those types of calls are always looking for the lowest price. I'm never the lowest price, so I'm not wasting my time.
  6. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Well, someone called the other day to find out if I worked on pool pumps and I did not return the call...because I don't work on pool pumps.
  7. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

no crap, you read my mind......
  8. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

We return every call - no matter how ridiculous the request may seem. If we don't want to work with a person, we price the work at the top of the chart and we let them know we are backlogged for 3 months.
    Our reason for this approach is that we would rather send the message that we are in too great of demand to come running, rather than to say that we can't even be bothered to call them back. The bottom line is you never know who they know or who they will tell. I can't tell you how many times I have heard bad things about a company based on a person who knew a person who got upset.
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I think that's a more sensible approach than just ignoring them. I sort of feel guilty for not returning calls.:laugh:
  10. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Same here.