Do you run over dog toys? see pic

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, May 9, 2008.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Picked up a customer late last year. Sent him his April's invoice on May 1st, and today we receive payment. Seems the guy's dog has a few toys laying around. Matt would throw them off to the side in a small pile. Guy must have appreciated it.
    I know most of us are in a rush to get done, including Matt, who carries a full route, but he won't intentionally run something over just cause it's in his way.
    Who runs over dog toys? You might not get a tip if you don't, but more importantly Fido will appreciate it if you spare his toys. :)

Bruce (2).jpg

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

nice work! "Most" people appreciate the little things

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

This is a perfect example of "relationship-building" with a customer !!
    :clapping:

They'll no doubt be some point down the road where they might need to cut you some "slack", too, Major Tom.
    And if /when they do...the relationship between you and the customer is COMPLETE !!

Some of the folks on this site that go around moaning and groaning about the "extra" things they "have" to do should take a lesson from this.

To be fair...a certain % of the adult population would not even NOTICE this kind of extra effort.
    But I think you've got to "TRY" .... once, at least.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent job!!! Congrats!!!

5. tras

tras LawnSite Member

Great job!

6. socty

socty LawnSite Member

:usflag:That is just fantastic! What boggles my mind is that I think you found the needle in the haystack. I move picnic tables, dog toys, kid's toys, hoses, lawn furniture, you name it, and in 17 years I have never even gotten a "thank you" for the effort. Maybe nobody sees it. I think people see it but don't want to acknowledge it, as it may induce them to pay more, or at least tip. You have a great customer there. I am envious!

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

i pick up most of em, but enjoy seeing how far I can shoot the occasional tennis ball...

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Tennis balls are fun. Especially when they aren't yours or your customer's. :)

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Tennis balls get shot as far as my mower can throw them if the chute is facing away from house...the hard objects like dog bones get picked up.

When I mentioned to a customer about raising prices due to fuel and overhead costs she dropped me, I mentioned that I never complained that I had to pick up 10 dog bones, rubber balls, chew toys and basket balls...she says "I didn't think that was such a big deal" I say, every time I have to stop to pick this up its money out of my pocket...she didn't understand.

10. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm actually guilty of the dog toys on the lawn. I know how much I appreciate it when the toys aren't run over. It is about relationship-building. My landscaper is someone I feel comfortable with and like. I pay a good wage for his service and he provides a good service in return.