Do you scalp the first cutting?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by curry, Jan 27, 2003.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many of you scalp the yard the first cutting of the year? Also, what height do each of you scalp? I scalp at about 1 3/4 on the first mowing.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope, we don't scalp at all. I don't know of anyone in my area who does this. The only place I have heard about scalping the first cut is here on Lawnsite.

3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

No. I return to my lowest cutting hieght at the end of the growing season when the grass goes dormant. Of coarse we are maintaining a C3 grass up here in Illinois. A C4 grass may require different cultural practices. Are you maintaining a C4 grass? I do this for the following reasons:

1) Helps to harden off the C3 turf for the coming cold.
    2) Helps prevent snow mold (that's if we get snow that winter).
    3) Helps to discourage the voles.
    4) Helps with a faster green up in spring (the soil warms faster).

jim

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I scalp my thick st aug lawns after they are nice and brown from winter only if they are real thick otherwise i lower my cut 1/2"-1" for winter and have never had a lawn that needs dethatching

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Yes, I scalp mine on the first cut, its part of my spring cleanup. I cut as low as possible, (probably somewhere around 1.5"). Its done by some down here on warm-season grasses. I would not recommend it for cool-season grasses. Oh yeah, scalping is done BEFORE it greens up.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I cut the last cut of the season lower, but this is to make leaf clean-up easier.

7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that scalping would help bermuda (is that sick or what?), I personally think that a flamethrower would help bermuda. Also, last fall I watched some guys scalping the greens at a country club. Then they punched it and topdressed. They have the sweetest topdressers.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually my father said it was common here in Georgia to burn Bermuda lawns right before greenup . I've seen it done in recent years a few times out in the country, and have been told by more than one person that it made for really green lawns (if polluted air)

I mow Bermuda back down to the lowest mowing height of the season (2" for most of my lawns) at the end of the season , and mow a few to 1.5" if requested. But on Zoysia, it takes a long time to get green all over if you mow that low.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'm going to start scalping all my lawns every week all season long. I'm tired of people bitching "your not cutting short enough." or "it doesn't even look like you cut it 2 days later." or
    "it looks bad by the weekend." I have tried to educate my customers and most let me do the way I feel is correct. I just get tired of the bitchers. :) ;) :) ED

10. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I hear ya Ed