Do you screw this up too?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 1, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

A client calls and says "I'd like to switch my service to every other week."

So you explain that there is an extra charge of $5 to go every other week. They're ok with it so you adjust the schedule.

Then, the next time the crew mows that lawn, you open the client's account in Quickbooks and as you are in the hour-long process of entering statement charges, you see that the last cut was $25 and charge $25 again? Then, a few cuts later, you notice that the schedule shows $30 but because you have only been charging $25 for a few months you are screwed? It's like, if I start charging the client's card $30 now...out of the would likely lead to a complaint. And what if I forgot to go over the $5 increase with the client when they switched?

Happens to me all the time. I have a solution I'm implementing, but it is still very prone to human error. Just wondering if others make this mistake too?

FWIW, if anyone would create scheduling software that automatically enters STATEMENT charges in Quickbooks (not invoice charges) I would buy it in a heartbeat. Entering statement charges in Quickbooks is an hour chore every day and it's an absolute beating.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

have you tried different programs?
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++have you tried different programs?++++

No. Because none of them are capable of entering STATEMENT charges. They all enter invoice charges. We do statements only.

Books Worst Enemy
  4. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I agree about moving yesterdays schedule into quick books.

Do you print the charge amount on the schedule? What do you use for scheduling? I made a database with Microsoft Access. Access has worked great, too bad it doesn't mesh w/ Q.B.

On my schedules I have: Mow day / Map page / Map letter / Adddy / Last Name/ Gate Code / Special instructions / and charge.

I will run down the schedule with a hi-ligher and mark all of the charges that are not $24.99. When entering into Q.B. I just look down to make sure it is not hi-litghted
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

My prices are all over the map. The price prints on the schedule. When the crews turn in their schedules at the end of the day, I start at the top of the page and write a check mark next to each name. Then I pull a sales report by class for that crew and check off all the prices to make sure nothing was missed on that crew.

Between entering statement charges, charging cards and dealing with declines, I am spending around 2 hours or so every day.

A program that would do all this automatically would be worth a lot of money for me.

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

We use qxpress. We keep track of 200 weekly clients, many of them on credit card and it takes about 2 minutes at the end of the day. Ill send you a PM
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I basically done the same thing at the beggining of the year to a customer, gave her last years price insteaad of 06 price. I didnt catch it till the next months billing, I called her and told her it was my fault and that Aprils bill was X ammount. But to look for the new price for May. She was ok with that.......she got over on me for 1 month lol, so she was happy. I would just call and tell the customer ooooops, but starting now the price is X

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have tried quick books, peach tree, pro, clip and only use gopher. all otheres are a pain in the butt