do you shake hands with potential clients

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, Dec 6, 2001.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Last night my brother, my dad and I went over to this lady's house. She got our flyer and she was wondering if we would get some stuff in her attic for her. I figured, sure why not, if we do this she might want us for mowing in the spring.
    So anyway we show up and I hold out my hand and introduce myself and she looked at my hand like it was on fire. She just wouldn't shake hands with me! I can't believe how disrespectful some people can be!

So any way my question is: do you shake hands with potential clients? I think you should it is the polite, professional, respectful thing to do.
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Always, but I have had some limp fish handshakes from some women. What out for those kind!!
  3. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes its appropriate to shake hands with a new business prospect...but not always. The key is to not be too aggressive. Don't assume everybody wants to shake your hand. I often would prefer NOT to shake someones hand.

Watch for visual clues I guess. If it is a way a person normally conducts themselves throughout the course of the day then you'll know it. Some people shake hands too frequently though too.
  4. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry boys,

Contrary to your public school education, men and women are different and dealing with men should be handled differently than women. A manly handshake should be implemented using a strong firm grip. If a woman offers you her hand, take it lightly by the fingers. Do not try to get a firm thumb-to-thumb grip on a womans hand.

In this country we used to have a law against men uninvitingly touching a woman without her permission, with a fine equal to about $10,000.00 fine paid to the woman.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For a man I always stick my hand out for the handshake. Women I don't. If I meet a woman and she sticks her hand out first then I shake. If not, I don't iniate it. Some women do, some women don't.

Isn't that how it always is? :D
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

65hoss has it about exactly right:

Extend your hand to a gentleman.
    Wait for a lady to extend hers.
  7. scott's turf

from NH

Women I slap on the butt and men I give hig five's.
  8. scott's turf

from NH

high fives
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would shake their hands if they put them out. I do just like TQ said and wait for the signal or the look of anticipated greetings I guess -LOL!!!

The other thing that I do is ALWAYS call my clients Mr or Mrs first and then I will call them by their first name afterwards if they have requested I use it.

This usually gets a smile or a laff. After a few times of crossing paths people seem to get used to the intial acknowledgement of formality and then know it goes to a casual manner if they have requested it without having to say a word.

I too believe it the respectful thing to do but try to see how they perceive it first.

10. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I shake hands only if they act first.